Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Source control bridge?

Options
  • 14-12-2001 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious if such a thing exists.

Lets say you have 3 muppets.

Muppet 1. Has a beard and uses CVS and refuses to use VSS.

Muppet 2: Thinks open source is for commies and prefers to use VSS.

Muppet 3: Prefers to use PVCS.

Now is there such a program that can offer all the commands of three but links into one back end? I'm aware they use different methodology's to store source.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Not sure if it exists but it would be a cool project.
    Probably wouldn't be too hard either, all you'd have to do would be to write an adapter that could be extended for each product.

Hmmm.... good idea. Did you take a look on SourceForge for something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

hmm,

whos the head muppet ?

he/she should really force all the other muppets to standarise and use the one product

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd get the boss to make a decision, hand it to the three muppets, and tell them that if it is beyond their ability to do what they are told by their employers, then perhaps they should consider alternate employment :)

On a more serious note - no - there is no bridge. If there was, it would sit at the front end, which would nark all three muppets, cause none would be using their preferred system, and all would now be using the "Bridge System".

The other problem you would face is the fact that CVS and VSS (the two I have most experience) handle conflict resolution completely differently. I cant see this being easily resolvable by a common front end.

jc

Advertisement