Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick BroadBand Status?

Options
  • 14-12-2001 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the status of Limerick and Broad Band is.. I Know there was a Chorus service around and is that still around and at the same price.. Also when DSL is finaly done in Dublin would Limerick be the next hit and would they so trials here also? :rolleyes: I WANT TO TRIAL :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

ESAT have access to one exchange in Limerick under LLU. It is not known at present whether they will be supplying ADSL for home use or just business style SDSL. They won't be supplying services until Feb 2002.

Have you phoned up Chorus? What do they say about the availability of PowerNet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Also when DSL is finaly done in Dublin would Limerick be the next hit and would they so trials here also?

The rollout plans for bitstream DSL services - the type being run in Dublin, essentially a package supplied by Eircom to Eircom Net - are unknown. Esat have requested co-location space (so they can run their own equipment) in an exchange in Limerick, and work has actually begun on that exchange. Crucially, no local loops have yet been requested, but it's thought that it's only a matter of time.

I really have no idea how Eircom will handle this. Barring regulatory/contract clauses, they have the option of attempting to compete against Esat in LLU areas, or working other areas to build market share. There are huge advantages and disadvantages of both. Eircom's ongoing behaviour would suggest that they will take the former route in order to retain their monopoly, however this would (arguably) be bad for broadband as a whole, as it will slow the rollout process.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Thx dah.. m8..

Do you think ESAT will be doing DSL trials in Limerick any time soon??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 plum

I wouldn't think that Esat will be triallist DSL - I would think that they'll be selling it!
    Anyway it's likely to be SDSL rather than ADSL ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wouldn't think that Esat will be triallist DSL - I would think that they'll be selling it! Anyway it's likely to be SDSL rather than ADSL ...

Yip, plum got it in a nutshell again. It's unlikely Esat will have trials, and if they do, they will be very short term, as Esat has already tested DSL quite extensively. And yes, it's likely to be SDSL rather than ADSL. It's also likely to be a business targetted product, at least at the start, and I doubt it will be cheap, since the marketplace is not competitive at all at the moment (as the Educom pricing has proved).

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement