Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital Widescreen

• 14-12-2001 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Since Digital TV is essentially an MPEG file, I don't see the point of buying a large television, as the image only get's pixellated when it is enlarged.

I would however like to take advantage of Widescreen, as it looks as 16:9 screens are the new standard for the future. So, does anybody know of some decent smaller digital-ready widescreen TVs? All the ones I have seen in the shops have been too big for my liking.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    Since Digital TV is essentially an MPEG file, I don't see the point of buying a large television, as the image only gets pixellated when it is enlarged.

Digital TV is sent via an MPEG stream, but no pixellation occurs when you buy a large TV. It is not like resizing a small 120x90 movie to full screen. The number of pixels will be the same no matter what size of TV you buy (unless it is an HDTV) so there will be no duplication of pixels to fill the screen.

I think digital artifacts do tend to be more visable the bigger the TV, for example, so it is a concern.

I would however like to take advantage of Widescreen, as it looks as 16:9 screens are the new standard for the future. So, does anybody know of some decent smaller digital-ready widescreen TVs? All the ones I have seen in the shops have been too big for my liking.

I have a JVC 24" which is big enough for my liking, though I got it over two years ago and they may not do it any more.

Originally posted by Richard:
    I think digital artifacts do tend to be more visable the bigger the TV, for example, so it is a concern.

This has always been a concern of mine.I had always assumed that Digital was better than analogue, and I suppose it is , in that at least your picture quality/reception is consistant.
    Are we only at the early stages of this technology?
    In other words,in years to come,will there be no more digital artifacts- I prefer a little grain on analogue to them any day- it's more pleasing to the eye,in my opinion .
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The whole point of Digital was so that TV companies could stuff more channels into one. This of course means more choice for us, and lower costs for the broadcaster, but you don't get somethin for nothin, and one of the downsides is the compression. Perhaps people will complain about it and in future they will increase the bitrate, stuffing slightly less channels into one than they do now.

It's really noticable at the big-screens in the pubs though, it's like watching a nintendo game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 donj

Hi, I got a Sharp 24" Widescreen a few months ago.. its great not too big and not too small. The shop I bought it from had a special offer.. they gave me a trade-in allowance of £160 for my old telly so I got the telly for a mere £300. not bad for a decent brand wide-screen tv with all the usual extras (double scart lead, nicam stereo, av sockets at the front, various picture settings/sizes etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

powercity did an offer their a few months ago on 32" widescreen mtisubihi (sorry about the spelling) tellies for only 550 snotsa great barging compared to some of the sony one goin for well over a grans for a similar spec, 32 is great specially if you hook it up to 5.1 dolby digital hifi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by phoenix2181
    powercity did an offer their a few months ago on 32" widescreen mtisubihi (sorry about the spelling) tellies for only 550 snotsa great barging compared to some of the sony one goin for well over a grans for a similar spec, 32 is great specially if you hook it up to 5.1 dolby digital hifi

You can't compare Mitsubishi with Sony. Mitsubishi TV's aren't even made by Mitsubishi but are rebrands like iDEAL, SLX, etc. Though I do admit that Sony's are very expensive. It's a pity they don't have a bog standard range for ppl who can't afford WEGA's like myself.

Yesterday, I became the proud owner of a JVC NaturalVision 28" Widescreen which I am happy with so far!:D (Sony's loss) It has 3 SCART sockets, one for Sky, one for PS and one spare. and it was £200 cheaper than Sony and although it doesn't have the totalflat tube like WEGA, it is damned good picture quality! Suffice to say, I recommend it! ;p

Advertisement