Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL, my line failed the test for the trial...

Options
  • 15-12-2001 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

So what does that mean when they start offering it commercially?

If I want to buy ADSL will they fix my line or laugh in my face?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

laugh in your face, your best bet is to get a new line, and before you pay for it, make sure it tests out. like anygood, if your not happy with the quailty you dont have to buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

My line failed as well but when i asked why the bloke couldnt tell me. Now I average about 44,000bps on dial up so from what i have read i am not on a dax box right????
    Only other thing i can think of is distance from the exchange...

Anyway if i decide to get a new line how can i test it to see if it will pass the dsl line test????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

if they didnt use copepr on your line, thats another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Pimp
    Now I average about 44,000bps on dial up so from what i have read i am not on a dax box right????

From what I've been told here, dialup speed does not matter since adsl runs on a different frequency to dialup...so you could have a wonderful speed on one freqency but the one adsl uses could be in atrocious condition.

That's from what I've been told here anyway. Hope it helps...

~Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yep, my line failed iswell.. ordered a new line 3 weeks ago...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

My line failed the ISDN test becaouse i was outside the limit but i still got it and it works. Not great but its a bit better than a 9,600 modem :)

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

Hi guys,

can anyone please explain me how to get this test tried on my line, and what should I do to get the ADSL trial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

From what i understand the Trials are only Dublin based and only in some areas of Dublin. Search the Posings i sure it was mention somewhere where to apply for the test (thats if you in the Dublin area) but im sure someone will point you to it. Most people on here are very helpfull like that :)

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Once I get a job I think I'll get a new line and ensure its ADSLified :)

I believe Clontarf area (that's where I currenly reside) is still considered to be Dublin. But the tricky question is if they're ever going to bring ADSL and digital TV cable here. NTL says the wiring over here is too old, dunno if it's the same for phones... I get 46.6k usually on my 56k.

Anyway, can someone please point me into the trial subsription thing?

BTW, El_MUERkO, whatcha lookin for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I was doing Software localisation but I got layed off, I'm going for a job in *insert telecoms company that shall remain nameless* on Tuesday minding servers, should me cool. Me crosses fingers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Greys, im not sure about that area for DSL trialling. Your best bet is to ring eircom and ask for the I-Stream dept.

NTL will upgrade your area in oooh, about 5 years.

Poor me! :(
    Luckily I've got apartments for a year, and soon (somewhere in April) I'll have to find a place somewhere else. You think they'll manage to establish normal DSL service throughout the city by that time?

Anyway, I think I'll create a new topic "what is the best part of Dublin for DSL" when it's time for me to move out :)

Any URLs to that I-Stream thing? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

www.adsl.ie

By next year, there Should be dsl all over the city (i wouldnt bet the farm on it tho, its just as likely to be delayed as not, but personally i think it will happen). So just make sure you move to the right area:)

What criterias should I keep in mind while looking up for a right area?

Do you think "by next year" will be in the first quarter of '02? Better be so :)

Advertisement