Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro coin packs availible

Options
  • 15-12-2001 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Oki doki then

nice to nice to see the forum being created

and for those of you who dont know you can buy the coins from your bank or post office price £5 the packs contain €6.35

those things are availible from Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I'm not pleased at all. The €1 coin is the nicest, but it's still too bloody small! They're so unsatisfying, I'll miss the feeling of whipping out a nice big silvery pound coin. Ahh...
    One thing I'm really not looking forward to is the €500 note. For fuck sake imagine losing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Goink

Imagine having one !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

i hear that

erm i had your five hundred that i owe you here somewhere

Personally I cant see why we need it like Im lucky to see a fifty pound note

It all looks like that play money they used in schooh when teaching how to add and subtract and all

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I can't wait for all the foreign coins to start coming in... the Italian ones are class :)
    "Uhh, I'll swap ya me German €1 coin for 2 of those Italian 50 cents..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Snake: yer right there, they're all too bloody small. I hate the way the 5, 10, 20 and 50 look exactly the same at a glance, you have to stop and examine them.. humbug. That said, I like the €1 and €2 coins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Mmm yeah I love that €2 coin, looks like the Canadian $1 coin :)
    That's gonna be confusing for the Canadian tourists I'll bet.

But oh my god, the 1c coin is sooooooo small!, it's like a shirt-button... and dare I say smaller than the hapenny of the 80's.
    IMO we need bigger coins!
    BTW I detest coins of less worth than 50p, they're only good for throwing at people you hate... how are these new smaller coins going to do any damage? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

gah! now im REALLY struggle to use up all my change for 1 last drink at the end of a night on the piss when i cant bloddy tell the differance when im sober!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Those 1 cent joins are a fecking joke, way too light and small. Are these the final build or will we have any changed coming out in the future?

I'd say it's the final build... imagine how much it costs them to mint all those coins :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I reckon the 1 cent will go the way of the halfpenny in no
    time at all.
    Also who apart from drug and used car dealers needs 500 euro notes?

Mike.

• Advertisement

And what shop is going to be able to give you change from that €500 note?!

Oh well, it'll give Bertie something to light his cigars with I suppose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Thorbar1
    Are these the final build

LOL

Having said that, they are too bloody small - they're like those Eastern Europe tiny aluminium ones - tiny, light and virtually worthless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I heard the 500 Euro note won't be issued in Ireland and possibly even the 200, though some will come in from abroad and are of course still legal tender here. Anyway don't quote me on that, may just have been a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

read in one of the papers the other day that they reckon the euro could replace the dollar in the international criminal underworld cause the 200 and 500 euro notes will make moving large sums of money around the place easier!

and the fact they're legal tender in most eu countries i suppose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yah Scruff, thats the reason Ireland don't want to issue them.

P.S. just got the Euro notes in this minute for our business, their easy enough to get used to, not like them feicin coins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I thought they'd have been a bit more original with the coins, they could have made one of them 5 sided, like the 50p, and they could have put a hole in one of them, like some of the Danish coins have. But they didn't, and when I have all the Euros in my pocket I have absolutely no idea what is what, because they are all of a similar thickness as well.

The gangsters of Europe have been converting their currencies to dollars over the past few years, in order to get rid of their stickpiles of national currency without arising suspicion. 1 Euro was $1.60 in Jan. 99 when the Euro was launched, now it's only worth $0.89, because all the gangsters have driven up the price of the dollar! (Well, that's my theory anyway)

This would also explain why the English pound floors in value every time Blair mentions joining the Euro. People with stockpiles of 50 pound notes panic and go out and buy dollars.

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    The gangsters of Europe have been converting their currencies to dollars over the past few years, in order to get rid of their stickpiles of national currency without arising suspicion. 1 Euro was $1.60 in Jan. 99 when the Euro was launched, now it's only worth $0.89, because all the gangsters have driven up the price of the dollar! (Well, that's my theory anyway)

You sure the Euro was ever that high against the dollar?? I thought the dollar to the IEP only ever went as high as 1.50 dollars to the pound and the Euro was set to .78 which woulda made that about 1.20 dollars for 1 Euro?

Anyway, yeh your right that thats the reason the Euro has fallen so much against the Dollar and the Sterling, but I think the general feeling from Economists is that a lot of this black money is only temporarily stored in Dollars and STG to get people over the changover cleanly, but lots of it will be eventually changed back into Euros because of the attraction of the so called 'Gansters' note' the 500 Euro. This should make the Euro rise again, hopefuly!

Heres an interesting article for you:
    http://politics.guardian.co.uk/euro/story/0,9061,623989,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

I'd guess part of the reason for the coins being so small is to keep the value of the metal as far as below the face value as possible, even allowing for inflation. Otherwise you might end up with something like the alleged melting down of 5p pieces in Ireland at one stage.

Advertisement