Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answer me a quick RAM question!!1

• 15-12-2001 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Hey, I need a fast answer, so forgive me for not merely posting to the other DDR thread admins.

As regards DDR RAM, what is the difference between the following two specs for two apparently different sticks of 256MB:

Stick 1) Size = 32 x 64 , 16 Chips

256 x pc 266

Memory.

Stick 2) Size = 32 x 72, 18 Chips

256 x pc 266

Memory ECC

Stick 2 is more expensive- slightly, but the main issue is will both these fit into a standard DDR slot? I take it they will, but need to make sure. It's just to with ECC? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Whether it will fit comes down to the PIN count. Which afaik is 184 for both (I think all DDR DIMMS are this way but not sure) so you won't have an issue. Most boards these days will support ECC aswel but you should check before hand, and bear in mind that while it is more stable the extra cycle taken for parity information slows it a little.
    For the average system non-ecc is the way to go. ECC is only really for a 24/7 server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

..not your sweating overcloked tweaked to the MAX Athlon XP with THG multiplyer unlock system that doubles as a small stve in the winter for you to cook j00 baked beans on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

ECC ram isn 't necessary for the average home user.

Servers use it because downtime due to a server system crash is far more costly. A home user only has to reboot their own machine if there is a RAM error, and RAM errors occur extremely infrequently.

ECC RAM works by adding one extra bit of memory for every 8 (hence the extra 8 bits per 64 on the ECC) These bits are used for parity checking to detect errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

ECC RAM isn't actually as good as you'd think, as modern RAM and memory controllers very rarely produce errors that would require the use of ECC RAM to rectify.

However, if you wany 4Gigs of DDR RAM in a system, it has to be ECC (most I've seen with non-ECC RAM is 3.5Gigs)

Advertisement