Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Cable need special modem?

• 13-07-2000 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

What type modem is needed or recommended for cable internet.
    Also any ideas how to rig an aerial to a mobile phone for indoor use (my house is encased in 8' thick lead to stop the voices, you know ?, the voices ?!!!

OOOH,I hear laughter in the rain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

ethernet card i believe.

don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

speaking of ntl - have you seen their adds?

"CableLink is changing it's name to ntl....."
    All bright and happy and sunny, eh?

What actually happened :
    "CableLink has been taken over by ntl which is partially owned by Bill Gates. We will be working closely with Microsoft to dupe you out of as much as your hard-earned money as we possibly can."

gotta love the wonderful world of advertising...

...and the saps that fall for it. Remember the Pentium 3 ads? "Bring the Internet to life." For a start none of that stuff on the ad is possible over the Internet and if it was it would take ages. As if the processor has anything to do with browsing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Seems like cable link would be laying their fibre optic lines for ****in AGES.

Today I was in the ordance survey office buying a digital map.

On the desk I say an invoice for £50,000 worth of autocad maps from Dublin-Cork grid squares and it was about to be sent out to Cable link / NTL.... so basically they haven't even drawn up the ****ing plans for laying cable yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

fibre backbone for cable eh?
    thing is.. max speed on co-ax is 44Mbps.. so i'd reckon they'd need the fibre to boost that up smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

from what I'v heard of cable you will need both a ethernet(10mb or so) and a cable modem. the modem will hook up to the ethernet card for fast connection to the net (most ports aren't fast enough) usb is but it has a bad ping from it and also it goes to the cpu, I think the cable modem will be hardware smile.gif

as for the maps I'd say that NTL: need to keep upto date with new houses going up all the time, They have all ready started to upgrade in some parts but it doesn't matter as they have no priceing for the cable net yet.(october is ment to be the date for that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I would imagine some kind of a firbe card... like they use for fibre drives.......... or else a network card of some type. with a connection to convert the fibre to copper connection.

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Here is the low down on Cable.
    Cable will be here with in 6 to 7 months for some places D24 D14 and some othere places where they are putting in the main cable.
    the speeds will be 256K dl and 128K up, but and this is the big thing is that speed will be shared with your tv telphone and your internet access. so if some one is watching tv you could lose half your bandwiht, the main bad thing is Cable from NTL will be dialup and you will pay ever time you dialup it will be more like high speed modem that the online all the time in the states, it will use a cat5 con it will not be useing fiber to your house the cost of that would be more that the comany is worth. the cable that is beening layed right now is to carry the main bulk of the bandwith not to put it in to your house. this will not be the great cable modems of the US, as NTL will have no compeders why would thay spend a load of money putting in a great network and still get just the same return from it.
    ADSL will be brought in by eircom in about 18 months but it will be priced out of the home market.
    sorry but that is the way it's going to be

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

on the NTL: site it say that they will be doing a connect system that once you comp is turned on it will be connected to the net, to do a dial up you would need to have the phone connected to the comp. and you wont lose half your band with when someone is looking at the tv as the cable always has the tv on it. the way NTL are doing it is that you will be connected at a flat rate
    30 or 40 pound a month. it was cable link who where going to do a dial up network as they didn't want to spend much money updateing their networks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

Dont think its an ethernet
    well the voices say try modifying a car kit smile.gif

have you tried a diff sim ie another company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

based on some litrature i read from NTL i got the impression that you would require both an ethernet card and some other gadget to connect to a cable connection

c22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Well it's funney i got my info from the Senior Account Manger of NTL, who when your doing thousands of pounds of business wiht them is a bit more help full than the web site which has been telling what ever the PR guys want them to say, (like saying that cable would be out in 6 months, that was close to 2 years ago befor NTL bought them) and i did not say it was a telphone dialup, i said it was like it in you would have to pay ever time you used it, like you have to do with eircom paying ever time you want to use the net.

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

What? You think thats news? All cable modems share bandwidth with the neighbourhood. Even in amazing america. Tell us something useful, or new
    quozl
    Inside sources! Gah where do you get this stuff from

[This message has been edited by quozl (edited 17-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Hoojah Nickabolokov

Originally posted by Coyote:
    sorry but that is the way it's going to be
    my friends Mr. Coyote is 100% correct(except his spelling).
    I've heard from inside sources, for suburban connections for example, that
    like ISDN a main box is planted in your housing location. So...stream is shared. If you have 50 houses connected to your local...great! tongue.gif if there's 500....doh! start packing! eek.gif

'tis a bit of a con lads all in all
    h nickabolokov

[This message has been edited by Hoojah Nickabolokov (edited 17-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

austira?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Lest we forget...

there are households already availing of cable internet through cmi, which operates in the malahide and swords areas of dublin. I'm sure somebody knows someone who is connected to this service...ask them what the story is smile.gif

Advertisement