Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircom 'hi-speed' question

Options
  • 15-12-2001 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You can choose. Usually when ISDN is set up, you retain your current number, and they assign another number to you. The bosca has four ports, two analog and two digital. You "choose" the number by plugging your modem into the correct port. For analog connections, that's the number you will be using. For ISDN connections, if you choose to bundle the lines, the port you're plugged into will be the primary number.

As to the second question, I don't know for certain, since I was dumped from SNL and I can't try it, but I seem to remember connecting to the net through my analog modem with no problems. I believe the quality should be better, but again I couldn't say for certain.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

You can connect through the analogue port with an analogue modem and as far as i can remember it was a good connection.
    You get two ISDN lines so therefore 2x rental (£15 quid i think or something for each). You can use an analogie port tho with no problems.
    Do not get the Eircom TA ive heard its useless. If you want a good one get an Eicon Diva. Ive got one here and its quite good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seeing as you're here now dahamsta - there is an ISDN line running into our house. My brother is under the impression that we just remove the box on the wall that our phone line goes into, and eureka! we're left with a good oul working standard PSTN line. I though you got a new line installed for ISDN. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by seamus
    Seeing as you're here now dahamsta - there is an ISDN line running into our house. My brother is under the impression that we just remove the box on the wall that our phone line goes into, and eureka! we're left with a good oul working standard PSTN line. I though you got a new line installed for ISDN. :confused:
    The box on the wall is for allowing analogue phones to be connected to the ISDN line which saves you buying an separate ISDN phone for voice use. If you get rid of the box, you still have an ISDN line and can still connect ordinary ISDN equipment up to it.

Eircom's original ISDN product did not include that box. It was brought in to make "hi-speed" more attractive to home users. The now supply it with all ISDN products.

It is true that an ISDN upgrade involves the same copper line that was used for the original PSTN. The difference is that it is connected to a different part of the exchange at the other end.

To convert back to PSTN, the line needs to be downgraded at the exchange.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

OK, so assuming they let me keep my existing phone number, I'll still be able to use an analogue modem, thus keeping no limits, and also, connect the house phones (main one, extensions, e.t.c.), into the second analogue port.

What happens if say I'm using an isdn channel corresponding to one of the analogue ports, and say I pick up the phone; does it just appear dead, or does it knock off the isdn connection? Also, if I use dual isdn on say ISDN port 1, does the analogue on port 2 die too?

OK, to summerise what I'd like to use it for:
    [Line 1;Existing number]
    1 analogue line for using nolimits with existing number
    1 isdn for use when I'm NOT using nolimits
    [Line 2;New number]
    1 analogue line to connect the normal house phones to, available all the time.
    Possibility of using for dual isdn if necessary, which I assume will kill the analogue line while in use.

Yep, I like the Diva cards (I use isdn daily, the 'old' one with just the 2 isdn ports), but I've seen people saying that the Asus one is better for pings.

Thanks,
    Brendan

• Advertisement

Seeing as you're here now dahamsta

Hey, I'm not the techie Seamus, I'm the Propaganda Minister. :)

there is an ISDN line running into our house. My brother is under the impression that we just remove the box on the wall that our phone line goes into, and eureka! we're left with a good oul working standard PSTN line. I though you got a new line installed for ISDN.

No, you don't get a new line per se, it just needs to be "upgraded". As far as I know - and this is going on postings by our more technical members - if the line is up to scratch, it's moved to an ISDN port in the exchange. The ISDN port is capable of handling analog connections, but the opposite isn't true - analog ports can't handle ISDN.

Technically though, I'm not sure where you stand if you remove the ISDN adaptor. I do know that up until recently, one of my telephones was connected directly to the line - by the engineer - and as far as I remember it worked even when the ISDN adaptor was plugged out*.

Again though, as far as I know, this doesn't leave you with a POTS connection, it leaves you with an analog ISDN connection, and there is a difference. What that difference is, is better explained by the techies.

adam

*At this point, adam robbed the house phone from the kitchen, plugged it into the socket coming directly from the line, plugged out the ISDN adaptor and confirmed that yes, the line does work. (These are separate lines on separate accounts.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers lads. Hmmm.....interesting discovery dahamsta /me runs home to disconnect his ISDN :)

[The standard "I'm not sure" disclaimer applies.]

Hi-Speed lines, or at least my Hi-Speed lines, are "hunting", in that if you're using one line and you pick up the phone, it'll use the other line to make the call. Conversely, if someone rings you on the busy line, it'll come through on the other one.

What you need to do is:

- Plug your analog modem into the analog port corresponding to your current number.
    - Plug your ISDN TA into the ISDN port corresponding to the same number (you're not going to be using your analog and ISDN at the same time for data connections.)
    - Now plug anything else into the spare ports.

Assuming your setup is the same as mine, everything should work ok now. Possibly. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

OK, filling out the online order form now. Any idea how long it will take them to either give me the good or the bad news (not upgraded yet)?

Thanks,
    Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'd say it took roughly a week for them to get back to me once I filled out the online order form... once they contacted me to confirm the order, they told me it would be roughly two weeks before an engineer will come and install the ISDN...
    The engineer came about a week and a half after the phonecall.
    Installation took about 20-30 mins.
    I was happy enough with how that went.

They installed the ISDN box on the wall right beside my PC, the original phoneline downstairs works exactly the same as before.

While we're on the subject....
    The ISDN box has a (mains) plug with it, yet it works fine for me without being plugged in... what's the plug for?
    I'd assume it's to power other ISDN devices connected to the box(?), but since I'm just using my PC's internal TA... is there any point in plugging it in?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

The ISDN port takes power from the phone line.
    The power adapor is for the analogue ports. If you dont have it plugged in and some oen rings you'll hear it clicking but phone wont ring. Green ligt is power from phone line for ISDN. Amber is for analogue one. You can also program your box to do decide which number is used for what , and what happens when some one rings etc. You shouda gotten a booklet on it. If not good luck in getting one, when something went wrong with my ISDN they were very scabby about giving me another one :p

Hope this helps to some extent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    While we're on the subject....
    The ISDN box has a (mains) plug with it, yet it works fine for me without being plugged in... what's the plug for?
    I'd assume it's to power other ISDN devices connected to the box(?), but since I'm just using my PC's internal TA... is there any point in plugging it in?!

One channel can work off the current in the telephone line-for two you need to plug into the mains
    jd

Advertisement