Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing history in IE5

• 19-07-2000 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

I went away from my pooter at lunch time and when I came back my history in the location bar was gone. I presumed some ****sbag was messing with my computer but on further investigation and exhaustive use of my great powers of deduction (and Windows Explorer) I discovered that my history is still intact in the history folder of my profile.

So how come my history is there but it is not appearing in the location bar of IE? As far as I know you can't make the location bar "point" to another folder so I don't see why it isn't reading from the regular history folder in my profile.

I tried logging on and logging off. I installed quicktime plug-in earlier on in the day but as far as I remember the history was still in the location bar after I installed it.
    This isn't exactly a life threatening problem but all the same I would like to know what happened.

Any ideas anyone?

NiG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Do you mean the history button is gone? In which case right click on the button bar and go to customise and put it back in.
    Or do you mean the history button doesn't work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

bad buzz man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

No I mean that when you click the drop down button on the location/address bar it is empty even though the history folder has entries in it. If you click the history button all the entries are there. It is working now i.e it is recording any new addresses I go to since after lucnh but I just want to know how it got empty in the first place and why it isn't showing previous history items. The "clear history" button was not clicked by anyone. As I said it isn't a major problem but still it would be nice to know what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Do you have tweak ui installed ? (it'll be in ctrl panel) If so check it's settings, if not format c:\ should sort it smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

man ie is just ****in with your head..
    tell it to cop on and give back your history list or you'll kick its crappy ass into next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

either one of two things

1. someone just cleared your history

2. go to - tools | internet options | Content | Auto Complete and see if web addresses is unticked

thats all i can think of

-Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I took your advice Kali but it backfired. IE5 attacked me. It threatened to ruin my life. I said that I didn't care and that I could live without a web browser. But I was wrong. Because of IEs' integration with everything in life now I am foked. I can no longer function as a person. I tried looking out the NT window but all I saw was a bleak life as a linux user. No longer will I enjoy IE5 or windows cute little error messages. Oh how I long to see a "Internet Explorer not responding" message.
    I suppose thats what you get when a web browser runs your computer (and your life).
    Boo Hoo
    Jesus this is a brutal waste of time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

Bad buzz man eek.gif

Advertisement