Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

0 posters

• 16-12-2001 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Any chance you will delete all 0 posters?
    It's not a big thing, but it would be nice to know how many members there are that have actually posted at least once.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just did a quick count, over 1000 users with 0 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

But its not really fair what if they just read the board..
    What if you deleted people who havent logged on in about a year.
    and I cant really see them accounts using up too much bandwith/hd space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

if they just read the board, then they wont notice if they loose their account. most of these account will be ones were the pass word was lost, or the incorrect email was put in before we went to vb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I think it's a good idea, you'd just have to make sure that they've been registered for a while. No use deleting members who have just registered a day or two ago and are just settling in.
    All it'd take is a quick little query...
    DELETE FROM members WHERE post_count < 1 AND unix_timestamp(date_registered) < unix_timestamp('$suitable_cutoff_date');

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A rather large percentage of users on web-based and particularly email-based forums don't post, and will never post. They come to read, laugh and/or educate themselves. Deleting them is a very bad idea.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

What resources are these zero post members taking up ? Is it Post or Die now ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They dont take up resources. I couldnt be arsed hacking the database and potentially shagging everything up to get rid of them anyway :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I was going to agree, but as hacktavist sez there are the 0 posters who are shy and hide in the shadows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by DeVore
    They dont take up resources. I couldnt be arsed hacking the database and potentially shagging everything up to get rid of them anyway :)

DeV.

and besides what would the advertisers think at their next meeting if they saw that they were getting through to so many less users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, forgot about the paradigm shift involved the dillution and obvious subsequent de-leveraging of the customer base. Also more should be done to utilise the Branding of the Boards.ie. As a brand it should be marketed to it's full potential and therefore capitalize on the dominance of this region of the EMEA market.

/me ducks

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What advertisers? :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭7Day Theory

So now on boards.ie (if WhiteLancer has his way :)), you are more likely to get "12" for saying nothing as opposed to spamming...

nah!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by 7Day Theory
    So now on boards.ie (if WhiteLancer has his way :)), you are more likely to get "12" for saying nothing as opposed to spamming...

nah!
    :)
    If you dont post, and just read, why in god's name would you care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Because you want to be part of the boards.ie community, but don't necessarily want to contribute at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Victor
    Because you want to be part of the boards.ie community, but don't necessarily want to contribute at the moment.
    You cant be part of the community w/o posting.
    Also, if it was set to remove all 0 posters older than 2 months, would that still be "dont necessarily want to contribute at the moment"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

If you dont post, and just read, why in god's name would you care?

Well, I'm not 100% sure about this but I think since the change was made to vbulletin you need to be logged in for it to give you those nice lightbulbs and "go to first new post" options, that's one good use of an account that wouldn't involve posting. Also if you need to read one of the private community boards, like a clan board, you need to have an account so you can get access to it, but you wouldn't necessarily post anything.

Since the move to vBulletin an account can be used for a lot more than posting, so I don't think it's a good idea to go wiping out everyone's account that hasn't posted, also it's a waste of time because you're never going to be able to weed out all the inactives and the members count won't be accurate anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Mills 0w|\|5 4ll j00r a5535...

well all the ones who wanted deletion neway, good reasonage mills.

Advertisement