Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting hIDEs......

• 16-12-2001 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

My HD is knackered again. :( I've done scans of all the HDs but I'm still getting that "A problem has been detected with your hard disk." message at startup that I can't seem to get rid of.

The drive in question is a 80G Western Digital, which is a replacement for an identical drive which crashed on me. I think this one will fail too and don't have high hopes of getting me money back :(

I've decided to replace it with a 60G Seagate, but want to get the data off the 80G drive (about 20Gs worth) first. I thought the easiest way to do this would be to get an IDE splitter cable, and connect a third HD to the IDE bus for a while, rather than feck about with the system drive or disconnect one of the CD drives.

Does anybody know of common problems with using an IDE splitter cable? I've never even heard of them mentioned outside this board.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Never knew they existed.

What's wrong with putting the hd on the other bus? or slave on the primary? disconnect your cd drive(s) while you copy the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

each ide channel can support 2 devices. There is no way to get 3 devices on one ide channel. Therefore, you will have to disconnect one of your cd drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, it wont matter to disconnect one of the CD's while you copy the stuff off.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah,

You'll have to connect the third HDD to the other IDE controller.

A single IDE controller can only support two IDE devices as it has only hardware to control access to two devices over the cable.

Bad luck with the HDD's too. Hopefully Seagate will be able to provide a much more reliable storage solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Wonder who makes the mechanisms for hdds....

Is it anything like the CD/DVDROM market where there are a few main mechanism manufacturers and loads of different drives and brands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I know - commandment no. 11 was "Thou shalt not put more than two devices on a IDE bus", and I never thought it was possible until somebody mentioned it here. Guess I have to arse around disconnecting CD drives and reconnecting, etc. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

am...but it's not possibl;e to put more then two devices on a standard IDE controller...it only has two channles => two devices suported....

SCSI supports 7 devices minmum I think.......

Fibre channel, there's the way to go man :)

Advertisement