Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 questions

• 16-12-2001 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

1) is Eircom v.92 standard compliant ?

2) how can i get office97 onto a windows95 laptop with now cd drive ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

a)no idea, look up the standards white papers

b)network,
    lots of floppies,
    osmosis,
    stick your hard drive into a system with a cd-rom drive, turn of plug and play, boot up and install with all options enabled on cd and not on first run or your buggered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1) Dunno, but I remember seeing some thread here before, have a search

2)
    • Get a copy of it on floppy disks
    • Get a CDROM drive :p
    • Get a lend of someones external cdrom/cd-r/dvdrom drive
    I would just say don't try install on say a pc and just copy over all the files through a network connection, 'cos, being an MS app, it makes hundreds of registry entries, so that wouldn't work

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

1) is Eircom v.92 standard compliant ? Not sure about that one

2) how can i get office97 onto a windows95 laptop with now cd drive ?

If the laptop and PC have network cards you could create a network , you will need some crossover cable to connect the two network cards directly, and share out the cd drive on your PC.Then from network neighbourhood on the laptop you can browse the cd drive on the PC and install office97 on to the laptop over the network.

If you don't have two network cards then you can connect the PC and the Laptop using a serial cable or a parallel cable.I've never taken this approach but i assume it would be the same as using the network cards.To set up direct cable connection go to windows control panel -> add/remove programs -> windows setup -> communications -> direct cable connection.It can then be found in programs -> accesories -> communications.Once installed it's only a matter of clicking next to set it up.

hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Q1:

Boards thread about v.92

Q2:

Either network the laptop with another PC (And copy all the files over) or borrow a CD-ROM drive from a friend (And install from that drive).

Borrowing the drive would be a much cleaner way to do it, and if you have a laptop from dell or one of the other major makers you should be able to track down a CD-ROM drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

According to the latest PC Live, Eircom had said that it supported v92, but then admitted that they don't!

Good to see that their staff are up to scratch, eh?

As far as I know, no ISPs support the new standard yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

im off to rant in the above thread

thanks for the help

Advertisement