Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest Large widescreen T.V's

• 16-12-2001 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

:) Hello everybody, I dont believe it but my 28 inch Panasonic t.v which is 3 years old failed to come on when i pressed the button (i think this is god's way of telling me i need to buy a 36" widescreen) this is where you come in , Where is the cheapest place to buy such a monster t.v . I have looked in local shops but a 36 inch would set me back over 2000 pounds, i might have to settle for a 32 " in that case . is it true that a 32" is only the equivalent height of a 25" 4:3 t.v. While on the subject of widescreen t.v's when i watch a dvd which is 2.35: 1 will i see black bars on top and bottom of screen even on my new widescreen t.v. I was thinking of sony or panasonic (yes i know my panasonic is temporary u/s ) i am not too interested in dolby digital surround and speakers with the t.v as i already have an amp and speakers for that purpose. Is there any where that would take a t.v as trade in? Last question is there any such thing as a digital t.v in ireland you see all this mention of digital scan 100 hz and so on but the t.v is still processing an anologue signal yes ?? in engllish brochures i have seen I.D.T.V's which are a sattelite box and t.v combined is this right. I know this is long winded but if you have an answer to any of my question i would really appreciate it. Thankyou in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

Last year i noticed an Lg tv with built in digibox.Don't know what the story is on whether it had 100hz.Lg seem to making a good name for themselves.it was in a local sore.
    I have a philips 32inch 100hz tv.I have it nearly 3 years and still love it.i can watch 2 stations at once which i think is brill.it also has dual screen tv and text. i can freeze the picture if i want read something that pops up such as if an address pops up i can run off and have time to get a pen and paper.there are another few things to play with but would take me forever to explain.
    The only problem is that i've CRAPUS as my cable company.
    By the way its not flat screen.
    with 2.35 widescreen videos i see black lines on top and bottom.it might have something to do with my video.I generally buy regular videos as the tv also has superzoom mode in which you are missing the top and bottom of the picture of which you don't even notice and if there is a program with stuff on the top or the bottom that you have to see you can drag it up or down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

oh yeah the lg tv was 999 and my philips was 1600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

your window to the outside world

Have a look at the Sony Wega's-in peats or somewhere like that-class machines ;)
    If your budget extends to £3,000 or so-check out projectors,if you want home cinema, they are the thing:)
    Plasma's are three time the price of projection and don't come near the quality!
    A 36 WEga widescreen is a nice comprimise;)
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ronanf

Yes, most movies will have black bars top and bottom if transmitted in original form and viewed on a widescreen telly as the ratio for many of the DVD movies I have is 2.35:1 instead of 16:9 (which is about 1.8:1).

As for losing picture height, I agree that you should aim for 36inch Widescreen. I also have a large 4:3 TV and think that a 28 or even 32inch widescreen will be too small. I will be waiting for prices to come down dramatically!

Have never seen IDTVs on sale in Ireland and not sure you would want to buy one anyway, kinda stuck with integrated digibox even when Sky+ or better come along.

I'm not sure they have been very successful in England as they tie you into one of the digital providers, Sky or ITV.

Finally, as for trading in a broken TV, good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have seen a few iDTV's (LGs) but to be honest, I would rather having my digital signals coming from seperate box. Then, when (not if) your digibox breaks down, at least you can revert to analogue terrestrial signals. Whereas, if your Sky is integrated with TV, then you lose TV too. :( Though when DTT comes out I imagine iDTV's with DTT decoders will eventually replace TV's with standard analogue tuners.

Advertisement