Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Play

• 16-07-2000 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

have you noticed a card you dont recognise or looking at the back of the pc is there a card with connections you dont use??
    if so open up and look at the card for information is this info in system icon in control panel?
    if not have you any drivers?
    if so install these!
    if all the above are no then reinstall youre dvd software decoding stuff!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

defrag your hd same thing happened to mine and after that it seemed to run fine .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

put your hands over your eyes..
    worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Well i recently upgraded my old graphics card from a Rage128 32mb to a Voodoo 5500.

Since then my DVD performance has been well messed up. I'm using a WinDVD player (as opposed to my old ATI software), but the FPS seems low and its all a bit unpleasant.

With the old Rage though it was perfect. Now I think that when i had the drive put in, that a hardware decoder was put in too.

Do these things only work with one card? Are they onboard the card? Why isn't it active? What can I do to improve the performance of the play?

Cheers,

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

I think there's an option on windvd to enable hardware acceleration/motion compensation for graphics cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

One thing the ATI cards have been very good at since the PRO core and up is DVD acceleration. It has a lot more hardware tohelp it all along. But with a decent CPU (PII-300 +) you're quality should be fine with the v5500. You might want to make sure that DMA is enabled for your DVD rom drive though (CTRl-Panel / System / Device Manager/CD-ROM / DVD properties). Without this the DVD must use the CPU for all memory transfers, the hardware acceleration on your ATI might well have been taking off enough of the load from the CPU to hide this from you....

• Advertisement
Advertisement