Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A tough one

Options
  • 17-12-2001 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I've been avoiding making a new post about this but I can't take it any more...

I'm looking for... well I don't know yet, so let's say I'm looking for a solution.

Here is the situation:
    There are 2 PCs. I use one, my dad uses the other. Both have 56k modems. My one is connected to the fone line, and my dad pays for a ten-pound-a-month off-peak service from Freeserve which is the worst ISP on the planet bar none. He won't change that ever. I am going to wire up his PC to the fone line so he uses the crappy service instead. This now means I want a new internet solution for my computer. But it has to be one that I pay for. With a debit card. It needs to be better than 56k. It also needs to be a service I pay for when I'm going to use it, instead of paying 30 pound for a whole month or whatever. This is because I can afford it at some times of the year but not others. Finally it needs to be something that won't stop me from using a standard 56k modem on the same computer. I have a budget of up to about 200 pounds for installation, and after that a budget of about 20 pounds a month for the service.

I know this is a difficult one, probably one with no answer. But please if you have even any idea about something that might possibly come close to what I'm looking for, please please help. Please. I can't stand my connection any more. Argh.

Thanks,
    A desperate man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Thats a easy one mate.

If you want faster than 56k you'll want ISDN 64k per line (2 lines) If your in Ireland you can get it from Eircom, it goes under the name "HighSpeed" (its just a name) If both your dad and you will be using the net at the same time, like you've said above, you will need to lines. PSTN (your normel line) can only do 56k.

Second you'll need a ISDN TA to connect at 64k or 128k.

Third you will be able to use your modem on this line, all you need is a ISP that supports 56k access (pritty much all of them)

Forth, ISP's that allow you to use 64k are, NTL, Eircom, Buy and sell, UTV, Indigo. 128k access are Eircom (I think), Buy and sell, Indigo(pay account) there are others, you just have to look.

Prices......

"HighSpeed" install £99
    To keep your old number on one of the lines £45
    ISDN TA (asus) £50
    Line rental for every two months after install £75
    Then phone bill charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

argh... the installation I can afford, ditto the hardware. The line rental I can scrape out but argh the phone bill.

btw what types of payment do the money-grabbing bastids accept?

Advertisement