Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domains or workgroups?

• 20-07-2000 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure *exactly* what I'm talking about here but...

We're trying to decide weather to move over to NT domains rather than workgroups. Anyone got any sites that recommend one over the other (with reasons given of course)

I'm actually using the boards for something work related smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

depends how many users you got and how secure you want everything to be.

workgroups are easy to deal with small groups, but if you have lots of users its easier to with domains. ummmmmm, all those resources and persmissions........uh-ahhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

..about 600-900 nt workstations smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Use Domains. You will need at least one NT Server to run as Domain Controllers. Don't use the domain controller as a client and make sure it has loads of memory.

It's a heck of a lot easier to set permissions and control what machines get into the domain and so on.

Domains are also faster getting machine lists in Network Neighbourhood.

With that many machines though you might want to set up a domain for each department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Bloody ****... setup a domain there... And yep, hobbes is right as always smile.gif, have separate departmental domains, with trusted relationships if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Domain!
    I don't however see the need for seperate departmental domains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by SickBoy:
    Domain!
    I don't however see the need for seperate departmental domains.

It's safer and easier to maintain.

Advertisement