Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Pc's, a hub and a cable modem

Options
  • 17-12-2001 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

i've got a problem
    network setup
    3pc's connected to a hub uplinked to a cablemodem.
    winXP,win95 and win2kpro os's.
    all with nic cards.
    cable modem uses dhcp to the nic card to set the ip address.
    no ip address set on the cable modem.

problem:
    1/ what ip addresses should i have the 3 pc's set to? i'd like for them to be able to see each other. if i use internal addresses then the dhcp will change one and it will become a public address.
    2/ is it possible to share a lan connection in w2kpro? i can see how to do it with isdn/56k/adsl but it doesn't look like its possible for a lan.

//MiCr0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

set your network ipss to - (example)

for the 3 PC's and subnet mask 255.255.255.0

The pc with the cable modem/internet connect, turn on internet connection sharding in w2k and your sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Umm...
    not sure if its possible to set a static address on a NIC and then get another address
    on it over dhcp in 2k.
    It would probably be easier to stick another NIC in the 2k machine, let that get the
    DHCP address and stick a static address on the other NIC so that the other machines can see it.
    NIC's are cheep these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Best solution is to use a cable router such as this linksys one:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=20

They're about STG85 from amazon.co.uk. Bit pricey, but worth every penny for the convenience of not having to leave one PC switched on 24x7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi folks,

How about getting yourself an old 486 or pentium machine, sticking two old network cards in it, installing a minimal Linux or BSD system or whatever, and setting it up as your router/firewall. A bit of hassle maybe but you'd learn things ;)

Bosco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

www.Nat32.com

3 static ips on the net cards and nat will do the appropriate routing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

further investigation as shown:
    there is a usb connector on the modem
    so usb to one pc
    then pc's -> hub
    shared connection setup on the pc with the modem attached.
    and all other machines setup to use it as a gateway

any problems with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by MiCr0
    further investigation as shown:
    there is a usb connector on the modem
    so usb to one pc
    then pc's -> hub
    shared connection setup on the pc with the modem attached.
    and all other machines setup to use it as a gateway

any problems with that?

Voillah! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I've got a similar setup without the hub. I have 2 PC's and a laptop all networked together and using only crossover cables. This is my story...

I have 4 NIC's in this setup. 2 in one machine and 1 in the other 2.
    I have XP on the 2 PC's and Win2k Pro on the laptop. All thats important in this setup is that XP is on the one with the 2 NIC's. There's a feature in XP called network bridging(It's simple to install, all you do is highlight the two NIC's in network neighbourhood properties and right click on any of them and select create network bridge). What it does is binds 2 NIC's into one virtual NIC. Once you do this enable internet connection sharing on the system with the network bridge and it will assign the IP 192.168.0.1 to the virtual nic and will also make it a DHCP server. So the other 2 machines can connect to the system via crossover cables and obtain IP's in the same range and have net access and also see the complete network(all 3 machines :D).
    I love XP!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

private address ranges - DO NOT USE ANY OTHERS - stuff like that will come back and bite you uears hence
    eg: 192.0.0 above belongs to someone - you'll never guess how come I know sun systems use 192.9.203 ..

10.x.y.z
    172.16.x.y
    192.168.x.y -eg: ics shares from 192.168.0.1

Can't remember the DCHP range 169.254? but if your card has one of those addresses it ain't gona work well...

firewall - I recomend gnatbox lite - two users - five if you register (serial is based on MAC of one nic) is free - web manageable but does not have DHCP

BTW in windows NT/2K and AFAIK XP you can have either one DHCP or 4 static address on one card.

There are reg hacks to get more than 4 IP's and I like the nice little reg hack that can put 3 static IP's on a 95 or 98 nic AND still have room for a 4th DHCP address. - But 95 don't route and neither are really stable if more than 4 IP enabled devices in one system by all accounts.

Advertisement