Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subdomains

Options
  • 17-12-2001 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

right I dont think i have sufficient privileges for this but one of you clever people may already have encountered and solved this problem.

I have a domain www.blah.com (not really, an example), and if I want to host a site, at the moment what i have to do is www.blah.com/hosted/sitename, or something very similar. What I would like to do however is have www.sitename.blah.com anyone know how this can be done??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This depends on a number of factors... including who is hosting the domain, what platform (ie.: Unix/Linux/Apache or NT/Windows or another) you're running the site on, and whether you have shell or pcAnywhere access to the server.

Can you give some more detail?

If some company is hosting the site for you and you don't have direct access to the server for the site yourself, then you'll have to get onto that hosting company and ask them if it can be done.

Otherwise it depends on the platform and server software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Baz_
    I have a domain www.blah.com (not really, an example), and if I want to host a site, at the moment what i have to do is www.blah.com/hosted/sitename, or something very similar. What I would like to do however is have www.sitename.blah.com anyone know how this can be done??

Comes down to who you host with.

If this is free hosting you're looking for, then Freedom2Surf and Tripod, amonst others, support this.

If it's something more serious (i.e. paid hosting), two methods come to mind, both depend upon your host:

1. If your host supports wildcard subdomains (i.e. *.blah.com) then you should be able to handle specific subdomains using server-side (or even client-side, I think) scripting, based upon whatever URL the user has requested.

2. Your host may allow you to set up your own subdomains, either via a control panel or on request.

I've a site with PHPWebHosting that has wap and sms subdomains in addition to the standard www, on request, for no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've a site with PHPWebHosting that has wap and sms subdomains in addition to the standard www, on request, for no extra cost.

Once again, bugger :(

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    Once again, bugger :(
    Still with the same host as before then? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

You could always take me up on my offer phil :)

• Advertisement

No I'm with Host Ireland now. Actually they're very good, except for a slow-ish turn around time on support requests, and they have all the java stuff I want and more (JSP == fun). And they support subdomains, 50 POP accounts etc. They weren't my first choice though, but my first choice weren't taking new accounts.

It's working out a 30 quid a month, which is kinda pricy considering ****'s getting his for 10 (bugger!) dollars a month. They do have a good reputation, apparently, so they'll be stable when I'm on the road.

The other muppets were charging me £20 str a month for hosting html pages. No stats, no cgi, no jsp even though that was what I was paying for. grrrr.

Oh and the other muppets' servers would habitually go down on @ 6pm on a friday and be down until monday morning. double grrr.

I don't think Dan meant that type of offer Phil... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<Father Fintan Stack>Dirty fecker.</Father Fintan Stack>

heh

Dan goes down instead of the servers then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement