Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win Me

Options
  • 18-12-2001 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Is windows ME any good or just another windows?
    I have win 98 and i think its ****ty on my system.
    Also is there anything i should know about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

It's exactly like win98 with extra added crap nobody wants or needs.

Use Windows 2000 - they seem to have got it right with that one. It's the only microsoft product I've ever said anything positive about...!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

so its ****e then...
    thnxs anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

winME is a version of win98 with kiddie icons and extra networkability.
    not worth the upgrade as its full of bugs, i mean little idiosyncracies, i mean features.
    if you want to upgrade choose win2k.
    solid as a rock, has a nice feel to it, easy to use, pretty much compatible with most stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Me is a pretty version of 98, that starts a bit faster because MS have removed the DOS Shell(No real mode DOS anymore). Still falls over in the same ways and with the same frequency as 98.

If you've got the memory & processor a move to Win2K or Pretty Win2K(XP) is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have to agree. Win2k is the most stable MS O/S i've used. I run Win2k on my own machine, and the dell my parents bought for themselves when I moved out has WinME. Its a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry. :D

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

no, i dont like winme, tried it once or twice but never inhaled, if you get my dirft

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Me is better than 98, just download the windowsupdates, very stable if you know how to use it right.

2k is good, but falls over regularly on a high peripheral system.

XP has been by far the best Microsoft OS I have used, like 2k, but done right :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I've been using WinME for a month, and so far, no blue screens, few errors, and im generally happy with it.
    Of course i did have to download windows media player v6 :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

upgraded from win me to win xp last weekend, much downloading patches but no crashes yet...winme used to crash at least 3-4 times a week!!!! which is amazing cause I really thrash these machines.

Time will tell...time will tell!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I originally upgraded (?) from win98 to winME. The only difference I noticed was the frequency of blue screens increased exponentially with the amount of work that the machine had to do (obviously this OS was not designed with the PC in mind).l I have since upgraded to Win2k and I honestly can't tell you when I last had a blue screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

ive got WinME, 2 or 3 probs still remain

but when i first installed, it was crashin non stop ! Then the day came when i did a DefRag and ScanDisk, all was well [enough] from then, altho power management sometimes goes arry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

ME sucks. Its really bad. Some computers at work came with ME preinstalled and theres been nothing but trouble with them. Mainly disappearing and reappearing printer drivers and com ports.

Its a piece of Junk , Win2K is far better, I'd try XP after the first service pack comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ME isn't worth it.

Hopefully not rehashing too much, here's why:

System requirements. ME runs like a dog on older hardware that works fine with 98. If you have the higher system requirements, go with XP instead (no reason not to). XP runs faster on my P3-450 laptop than ME used.

DOS removed: So what? If you don't use it, it's not bothering you. When ME was getting rid of DOS (so to speak), I thought "good". Then they put all this other unnecessary rubbish on to it (see "hardware requirements")

Win2000 is better. Has more stability, doesn't crash anywhere near as often. It doesn't however have support for a lot of games (though, given that it supports DirectX 8, many better-written games that don't actually require DOS will run on it)

Many games that didn't run on 2000 will run on XP. XP will as a rule run anything that ran on 98/ME (my notable exception is Commandos, but that's a fault in game design - it wants the old cdplayer)

If you have a P4, ME will seem to run just as fast as 98. Anything slower and there is a perceptible difference (when I brought one machine from 98 to ME, the performance hit didn't annoy me, but I could see the difference)

My current desktop setup is just running Win2000. My slightly slower laptop is running a dual-boot 98/XP. I use XP for everything except games that won't run on it (and there aren't all that many, unless you're very fond of games you bought a few years ago)

many people ran ME because it was the latest and greatest (well, latest anyway). Now it's neither.

Not being a Microsoft basher, I liked 95 when it came out, upgraded to 98, then to 98SE, then to 2000. Tried ME and really hated it (but as you can see some people in the forum did like it better). XP I like because of the game compatibility that was less apparent in 2000.

Advertisement