Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typing out the Euro Sign on non-Euro keyboards

Options
  • 18-12-2001 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty behind on all this. My keyboard hasn't a Euro sign on it. Where and how can I assign a key to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most recent versions of windows (don't know about other operating systems) use ctrl+alt+4 for the Euro symbol (or AltGr+4). It may not display correctly if the font you're using has no euro character. More common fonts like times new roman, arial etc should support euro symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

actually its just ALT + 4

Hmm... alt+4 doesnt work for me. You sure that wasn't altGr+4 you pressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

nope alt and 4 works for me

What O/S ?

This machine here is using Windows ME (UGH!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I got it. It's Alt Gr + 4 - but only on certain fonts. Arial, Times New Roman, Courier, Verdana (I think Trebuchet) and some other weird ones have it.

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Alt+4 doesn't work for me in Win2k. I either use Altgr+4 or Ctrl+Alt+4. You'll have to let us in on your secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The Official Microsoft method of producing the euro symbol is
    1. Ensure numlock is on.
    2. Hold down the alt key
    3. Type 0128
    4. Release the alt key.

The other ways work, if you have such a key or regional setting etc.
    This way works. full stop.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As I said elsewhere,...
    The simple answer to how to display the Euro is:

If you have an ALT-GR key (usually next to the spacebar, on the
    right), press ALT-GR+4.

If you don't have an ALT-GR key, press CTRL+ALT+4.

If you don't have a CTRL key or an ALT-GR key (what???) or you're just stuck in the past, turn on NUM-LOCK and press ALT-0128.

If you don't have a CTRL key, an ALT key OR an ALT-GR key, BUY A NEW KEYBOARD or copy and paste this: €

If you're still using Windows95 (WHY???) and you haven't updated it with the Euro fonts update, update it now.

While you're at it, you might as well update it for the Y2K bug.

To do conversions between all the Euro currencies and the € (Euro) itself, you could use a utility like Currency Converter Pro, written by yours truly.

For more information on the Euro, to get the Euro currency screensaver, training pack, font, and a fearsome ROTATING ANIMATED GIF OF A EURO COIN!!!, see the ECBI (Euro Changeover Board of Ireland) web site at http://www.gov.ie/ecbi-euro/ .

Next!!!...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
    yay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

on mine (winxp) only altgr+4 works and ctrl+alt+3 then 4
    ctrl+alt+4 dont work, weird i know
    €€€€

The change is in your pocket, the facts are in your €uro handbook, the barman has pulled a fast one

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

you could always just copy and paste it until your admin updates stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

What about the symbol for cents?
    Is it just "c" or "¢"?
    :Confoozled:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i think all this was discused here

I think its just c. I've seen packs of manky superkings with big "10c LESS THAN MOST OTHER BRANDS!!!" stickers on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Just advertised my car on buyandsell.net, typed in the euro logo which strangely changed to a "?" after posting. Noticed after posting that it changed between my comp. & boards.ie hence the editted msg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

On the Mac OS, the euro sign is accessed, on the "British" keyboard by pressing option-2.

You may be interested to learn that Apple are going to release an "Irish" keyboard for Mac OS X shortly. The reason for this is that Ireland uses the euro now, and so we have to have our own locale just for the euro sign! The keyboard is likely to be available with the next minor release, Mac OS 10.1.4, but there is no guarantee.

The Irish keyboard makes it easier to type sínte fada (áéíóú) by pressing the option key and the vowel. This is different from the British keybaord, where you press option-e and then the vowel.

You can see the layout, and download the keyboard for Mac OS 7 through Mac OS 9 at http://www.evertype.com/celtscript/celt-keys.html

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭h_orse

The Official Microsoft method of producing the euro symbol is
    1. Ensure numlock is on.
    2. Hold down the alt key
    3. Type 0128
    4. Release the alt key.

The other ways work, if you have such a key or regional setting etc.
    This way works. full stop.

X

Xterminator

You are a genius

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

€€€€€ I spent years trying to work it out and I used to copy and paste lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Must have been a nightmare being unable to do this since 2002.. huge relief all around, no doubt!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭h_orse

Copy and paste myself too from internet

€€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

if some of those in financial markets had their way, this thread would not matter as the euro would have disappeared since the original posts in 2002

Begs the question - what were you doing in 2002 and were you better off/happier then that you are now?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

delahuntv wrote: »
    Begs the question - what were you doing in 2002 and were you better off/happier then that you are now?

Ah memories!

2002 - Self-employed £1000 a day, no kids, drink of choice - champagne - happy days!
    2014 - Still self-employed but €1000 a month, two kids, drink of necessity - €6 Aldi plonk- happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

delahuntv wrote: »

If it wasn't an even year I would have no idea but that was a World Cup year so I remember that I watched the World Cup. I was 20 so I probably spent the rest of the time being an idiot.

Things are definitely a lot better for me in 2014!!

Advertisement