Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 and DVDs

Options
  • 18-12-2001 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My brother has just bought a PS2 and I must say the games on it are graphically pretty tasty , if a little short for my liking but when he plays DVDs on it the sound goes out of sync with the picture after a while. I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was a problem with all PS2s or did my brother just get a dodgy one?

If it is a problem with all of them then that is a bit of a bollox as a lot of people I know that are buying them are buying them because they double up as a DVD player instead of waiting for the Gamecube.

I think I'll wait for the gamecube and X-Box to come out here first before I make up my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

this happens on all ps2's. i bought a dedicated dvd player for my dvd's cos i got sick of the ps2. also the game cube can play dvd's. they cant physically fit into the thing. you'll have to wait for the panasonic (i think) gamecube/dvd player.

i heard those wernt coming out in europe smak.

also my m8 got a ps2 and he swears by the dvd player although i wouldnt trust him cos hes a sony fanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Don’t worry.

Sony have released a DVD remote Control package for the PS2 which comes with a cd that fixes the out of sync bug, You can get them from most good games shops, HMV and Virgin. It will only set you back a mere 24 quid ;)

Problem sol-ved

they should not have release the product if 'patches' were needed to make it work properly in the first place.

I agree. But the PS2 was designed primarily for use as a games machine and not as a DVD player. The DVD on the PS2 is well known for it's second rate performance, the out-of-sync being it's major fault, it is good to see that this bug can actually be fixed. It makes the PS2 that much sweeter.

I just bought a PS2 strictly for use as a games machine, but it's good to know that the DVD is there as well, especially now that it can be patched up to work as good as a normal DVD player. :)

• Advertisement

i post this on every 'ps2 dvd' topic, but if your interested, datel make a product called 'dvd x' which makes your ps2 play dvd's from any region. it's pretty cheap too.

link: here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I was in town yesterday and I saw of those disks for the first time. Twas only 20 squids too. I don't plan on importing too many DVDs so I think I will give that one a miss. But TBH I thought it looked a bit dodgy, as in, it looked like a product that Sony don't know about.

On the front cover, it said things like

"Supere Fantastico Multi-Regionaire DVD Enhancer Software"
    and
    "Wowza Wowza Extraviganza" etc

(If the coloured guys on the continent were selling software, they would be selling this). :D

But the bug fix and remote bundle sounds appealing, coz I have noticed that sound/picture sync problem before on the PS2.

Does Gameworld or Smyths stock it, anybody know?

;-phobos-)

Gamesworld should defiantly have it, and if not those guys then Game on Grafton st do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

it is incorrect to say all ps2's have the 'sync problem' as that is not the case. I have had two ps2's and the first one had awful out of sync playback and was without a doubt defective. I have since got a replacement and it works as good as my 250 quid stand alone dvd player. I encouraged my mate who had a early version ps2 to swap back with the store and his works flawlessly too. I also installed a multi region mod which works great with no macrovision.

Most ps2's are out of sync early models but *not* all.

Oh and the games rock ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Here's an idea: someone who has a ps2 with the DVD playback bug, turn it on without a disc in and check the DVD player software version. Compare it to someone's who doesn't have any playback errors :)

• Advertisement

mine mustave benn out of sync cos i got it on day 1. oh great. :rolleyes:

bring it back to the shop smak and mebbe theyll swap it for u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Imlad Morgul

this is smak he would be to lazy to do this.

im not that lazy! ok maybe i am, but i got it november 2000! there not going to exchanger it over a year later. ill just get my brother (he owns it now) to get the remote with the latest drivers and see what that does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Imlad Morgul

as long as you still have the recipt and stuff cant see the problem... might now nolonger be under warrante though, but i is still worth a try...........

ive probably lost the receipt at this stage! it is 13 months and im not exactly the best for keeping stuff like that in a safe place. (i really should though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I got mine a year ago and it's fine. The sound volume is pretty low when watching a DVD, compared to games, but I have it hooked up to my stereo so it's not a problem.

Advertisement