Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Modem?

• 20-07-2000 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Have you seen this,
    Your line speed:
    21.5 Kbps
    2.6 K bytes/sec
    (56k "Modio" pile of s*ite)
    Forget cable and isdn for the moment, what moden do you reccomend and where can I get it at a reasonable price.
    Are all winmodems this bad?

OOOH,I hear laughter in the rain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yes, winmodems are software modems, which leave the cpu to do the analogue/digital convertion (translation : they are sh1te)

It doesnt matter what make you get really, as long as its not a winmodem.

Personally I would recommend the Pace 56, but these are unavailable now due to pace going bust last year...I dunno, you might find them in one or two places (ive heard compustore in sandyford have a few)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I hear the Diamond Supra is the choice of the connoiseur...

[This message has been edited by Sico (edited 23-07-2000).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by Hecate:
    yes, winmodems are software modems, which leave the cpu to do the analogue/digital convertion (translation : they are sh1te)

It doesnt matter what make you get really, as long as its not a winmodem.

Personally I would recommend the Pace 56, but these are unavailable now due to pace going bust last year...I dunno, you might find them in one or two places (ive heard compustore in sandyford have a few)

I'll check that out this lunch time - I work very close to the place smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

about the pace modems, they have 5 of them in compustore in sandyford, £149 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

still the same price as when I bought one 2 years ago smile.gif

..they'd probably charge more if they realised the modems were scarce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement