Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands who used to kick-ass but are now muppets!

Options
  • 18-12-2001 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

1: Rage against the machine (first two albums)

2: Limp bizkit (first album)

3: Metallica (first five albums)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Metallica
    Machine Head
    Sepultura (Well I wouldn't really call them muppets, but they sure suck now.)
    Dimmu Borgir (Same)
    Fear Factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Bagatelle frickin sold out !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Metallica, the obvious one...

Dimmu Borgir... Yeah, maybe...

And... As I hate to say it... Cradle Of Filth...
    Their new stuff from the new album sucks ass.

I still listen to the previous 6 albums fanatically though!

Just got the CoF DVD, and they played NONE of the new tracks! I'm happy! More room for the good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm completely out of touch about music so whats happened to
    the mighty Metalica?

Duet with Britney?
    Duet with Megadeth?!
    Coca Cola ad song?

Worse?!!!

Mike.

Actualy, I read something about them having some Rapper on their new album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

-Manic Street Preachers (no hang on they always sucked)
    -At the drive-in
    -U2
    -Metalica
    -REM
    -The Foo Fighters
    -Rammstein
    -Green Day
    -Most bands

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    -Rammstein

Oh, no way!

Their new album is the best yet!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Oasis. Definitly Maybe was (and still is) an excellent album. The rest of what they've released is a load of toss.

Sepultura are not the same without Max C - simple as that.

Limp Bizkit's first album was excellent, second one started to show the descendance into decadence

Why are people down on Metallica for changing their style of music a bit? Their recent stuff has been excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Pearl Jam - Since Dave Abruzzesse (drummer) left they haven't been as good.

Metallica - up until the black album

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Kharn
    Sepultura are not the same without Max C - simple as that.
    That's the problem .. they're trying to be the same. Problem is that Max brought quite a bit of influence into that band in their music, so they gotta start influencing themselves (if you take my meaning - I didn't word that very well)

Why are people down on Metallica for changing their style of music a bit? Their recent stuff has been excellent!

THANK YOU!! Someone who isn't singing "sell out". To all those other people I'll ask this:
    Who exactly have metallica sold out?? They're doing what they want to do. If you don't like them, don't buy their albums. Christ .. its that simple ffs!! :rolleyes:

And in any case ... look at the state of the metal scene. It's driving itself further and fuirther into the ground cause few people are trying anything new. They're all either too stupid to try anything "different" or too afraid of weeners harping on about how they[the bands] "sold out". It's the bands music, so HOW, OH F*CKING HOWWWWWWWWWWWW, have they sold out?? (excuse me .. lost it there for a second)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Lemming
    If you don't like them, don't buy their albums.

That's the problem, people downloaded them instead, Metallica shat on them and now they hate Metallica. See? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I dislike metallica because in my opinion their newer (post 1988) material is a pile of crap. I wish them the best of luck in trying to get a piece of the lucrative mainstream rock market, because let's face it, that's what they are after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Zebedee

Sonic Youth- god knows how they conned Jim O'Rourke into joining but they're feeble these days.

Orbital- the last two albums suck enormously....

Arab Strap- it's been all downhill since the second album.

Stina Nordinstam- unlistenable

Prince- gone.

saw Rammstein at the MTV awards a while back, they were trying to look fierce but just looked like a Teutonic GWAR. Sad.

Originally posted by Lemming
    THANK YOU!! Someone who isn't singing "sell out". To all those other people I'll ask this:
    Who exactly have metallica sold out?? They're doing what they want to do. If you don't like them, don't buy their albums. Christ .. its that simple ffs!!

Look... This is asking people: who thinks people have aold out. It's about opinion, and nothing more... Techncality, yes, but nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Look... This is asking people: who thinks people have aold out. It's about opinion, and nothing more... Techncality, yes, but nothing more.

I agree AngelWhore .. its all about opinion. But what pisses me off (rather badly too) is people whinging about bands "selling out". Especially in the metal scene. It's nothing more than elitist snobbery and fear of change.

The bands owe the listeners precisely dick!! They provide a service (if you will), and since people like the sound if it, they pay for it. If they want to change that "service", or try something slightly different, that's their perogotive. Who are you[the listener] to dictate to them what their art should be??

And lets remember, music is an art-form. I am of the opinion that music should not be written to make money(which it would be to appease some whinging prat), but as an expression of something.

Hence the reason I have a strong dislike for manufactured bands (ie. Steps, Spice Girls, etc), and ... people who say "sell out" because bands decide to try something different. They both equate to the same thing. Rehashed, same-old-same-old, unimaginative sh*te.

Excuse me Lemming but no one mentioned anything in this thread about Metallica selling out other than yourself. Just thought I'd point that out to you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

The "sell out" thing doesn't really work in metal anyways. Like name a metal band around now that wouldnt jump at the chance to sign to a major label? I'd say that the majority of them would be prepared to compromise their "art" to make a bit of extra cash. Lost Prophets are a great example, they release a deadly album, sign to a major label and re-release the album with a few changes, Raging Speedhorn added another track...still two great bands though. If Metallica hadnt signed to a major label and gotten a bit of money behind them they might never have bothered to play here, even if it meant that they changed their sound a bit.

Cradle Of Filth recently signed to Sony...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    -U2

Ah comon U2 is the classic all time rock band.... They define exactly what a rock band should be and they are still tight and better than almost any other mainsteam rock band around.

Metalica lost it from the Black Album on they were just way to ritch to be angry anymore.

REM did not need to make monster or anything after that

Greeday should have stopped 2 cd's ago

Limp Bizkit should never have started

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Cradle Of Filth recently signed to Sony...

Sellouts.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by screamager
    The "sell out" thing doesn't really work in metal anyways. Like name a metal band around now that wouldnt jump at the chance to sign to a major label? I'd say that the majority of them would be prepared to compromise their "art" to make a bit of extra cash. Lost Prophets are a great example, they release a deadly album, sign to a major label and re-release the album with a few changes, Raging Speedhorn added another track...still two great bands though. If Metallica hadnt signed to a major label and gotten a bit of money behind them they might never have bothered to play here, even if it meant that they changed their sound a bit.

Changing Labels has nothing to do with why metal fans think Metallica sold out. It's cos they do whatever it takes to make money. Like c`mon Metallica should know Load and Re-Load are not up to standard and yet they put out singles on alot of the songs knowing people who have no interest in the music at all and go out and buy anything thats "trendy".

Pantera is on the same label and they haven't put out any singles recently. And some of the songs are not classics but are good enough to sell. At least Pantera have a conscience.

They went major to make money, so did Pantera and anyone else who signs to a major label. Pantera arent the cleverest chaps anyways, they just try and sound more and more heavy every album, they shouldve stuck to the CFH/Vugler Display... kinda stuff (yeah, i know thats off the point).

Anyways basically my point is that the majority of metal bands are in it for the money aswell as the music. so they've already "sold out". If a band you like changes direction, be it more or less commercial, its not selling out, its changing direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I still think in metallicas case its a simple question of growing up, not selling out. They arent teenagers anymore and the music reflects that.

As for U2 going to the dogs - bah. I only rate thier stuff from The Unforgettable Fire onwards (i know ill take some slack from the purists for that) and while nothing they will ever do will match The Joshua Tree, every album has been interesting and well worth the outlay:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Rhine

As much as i like metallica i have to say their new material (eg Load and Reload) has been piss poor compared to the good old days. Worse still, i dread think about what the new album will be like, especially now Jason has left ...

The reason I am worried is because now metallica are biting on to "nu" trends to try and sell a few more records. They now fancy themselves as a badass rap crue with their home boy Ja Rule. I dread to think about the lyrics this will produce when compared to the good old days ... They will probably consist of the f*ck word many times over to get a explict lyrics sticker on the cover (to prove they are now "gansta thugs from da ghetto"), and about metallica "rollin in their benz with big booty bitches".
    I wonder what they would have said if u asked them would they do this type of thing 15 years ago...

Here is the evidence ....
    http://www.encyclopedia-metallica.com/news/2001-12-17.shtml

I still think in metallicas case its a simple question of growing up, not selling out. They arent teenagers anymore and the music reflects that.

And getting together with an mtv friendly rapper is growing up/not selling out ???
    They are not teenagers anymore, but, i don't think this reflects that.

i dont like the auld rap much myself but so what if a band does a song or two with a rapper? unless metallica have done the whole album with him, have they?
    Anthrax, Fear Factory, NIN, Aerosmith...none of them are gonna go down as nu-metal bands are they?

Originally posted by screamager
    i dont like the auld rap much myself but so what if a band does a song or two with a rapper? unless metallica have done the whole album with him, have they?
    Anthrax, Fear Factory, NIN, Aerosmith...none of them are gonna go down as nu-metal bands are they?

I'd put down Fear Factory as nu-metal

They used to be really cool but now theyre a bunch of fakes.

All i am saying is that Metallica used to be a great band but for me the last 2 albums have not been great, and dissapointing when compared to Kill Em All, Ride The Lightining and Master of Puppets. In my opinion Metallica wheir at there best back then. After hearing about Ja Rule on the new album, it just makes me think the band are not going to get any better and not produce any more classic albums. This thread is about your opinion on bands that you think have lost it, and thats why i feel Metallica are no longer the great band they once where...

My point about the rapper is that i believe they are doing it to take advantage of a new trend, rap metal. The most successful metal bands at the moment who do best in the charts are bands like Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Linkin Park and Crazytown ..
    All these bands have a rapper and it just makes me think Metallica are trying to cash in on the success of these rap metal bands. When Anthrax & Public Enemy and Aerosmith & Run DMC got together, having a rapper in a band was something different. If Metallica loved rap so much and thought that having a rapper on the album would benefit their "art" why didn't they do it on any other albums like the black album ??? It makes it look like they are only doing it to milk the success of others and to jump on the band wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

IMO, metallica have always been sh!te. schlock rock. was never into it.

Foo Fighters last album was a bit disappointing, but colour and the shape was so good that I'd let them off.

U2's latest, likewise, a bit disappointing - but its still good. and POP was amazing.

Limp Bizkit are just w@nk. a cant stand the site of that pr!ck. "we got human being’s usin' people for a bomb". shut up!

....isn’t he about 38 or something? teenage-angst indeed. muppet.

green day are getting too old for this sh!t. offspring have been too old for donkeys.

Rage rocked till the end. Battle of LA had some great tracks... and renegades is pure class, even if it is a covers album.

Cypress Hill... heard mixed reviews of there latest album.. apparently its heavier and 'more mature' or somat (less talk of weed and ak-47's)... but the change is sure to displease some. They've failed to disappoint so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement