Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding new heatsink to gfmx

Options
  • 18-12-2001 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

ok i've a gfmx 175/183 @ 205/212, i'm gonna remove the current heatsink and stick on a cystal orb (newer version of blue orb), i'm wondering how do i remove the current heatsink and attach the cystal orb? and i was thinking of cutting up the heatsink thats on the card atm and using that on the ram is that a good idea? or is it better to get some ram heatsinks? i'm hopeing to get it as close to 230/230 or as possible or higher :), atm all i have is a pci exhaust fan beside the card but i'm gettin a new case in the next few days and should be able to get a 80mm exhaust fan on it.
    Soin short what i wanna know is how do i apply the paste or goop or whatever and stick the crystal orb and ram heatsinks on :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Many people put the card in a bag in the freezer for a while, then the heatsink comes off easily. Personally, I'm too impatient. I stick the card in the vice, held by the heatsink, and twist the card. Not for the faint hearted, but have done it 3 times without any damage so far.

If the heatsink is of any decent thickness at all, it should be fine for the ram. Best stuff to stick the sinks on, is artic silver thermal epoxy. Otherwise you are looking at putting superglue on the corners, and thermal paste on the rest of the chip surface. Not as easy or reliable, but cheaper I suppose :)

The crystal orb can be attached in the same way, however there might be holes around your gf2 mx chip which will let you mount it correctly, unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

i've just ordered crystal orb and other stuff from ocuk, i got artic silver 2 aswell, will that do the job? i hope so, would be a waste of moneh just to order some thermal paset from the uk

well, I did specify thermal epoxy, not thermal paste. You'll have to use superglue along with the thermal paste as I described above.

i ordered the stuff before you posted, oh well i'll have to make do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You won't get it up to 230 core. that'd be pushing the MX too far.
    Is it stable at 205? As in can you run Q3 for a good hour and it won't crash?

Fair play if you can.

Cable ties or simply strong tape are equally good (though nothing compared to super clue/Arctic silver :)

I wasn't aware Arctic Silver came as both Epoxy AND paste. Thought it was just thermal epoxy???

• Advertisement

atm i run it at 205/212 and it is completely stable, can play games for hours without a crash, thats with just a pci exhaust fan, i used to have a 80mm exhaust fan beside it (straped to pci slots) but when i didnt' have enough space to keep it there, i used to have it at 210/215 then completely stable. So i presume with the crystal orb and ram heatsinks i should be able to manage 225/225 give or take a few mhz. Its a hercules prophet II mx which are very good for overclocking i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yeah syx! one for the sticking and one for the cooling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

yeah syx! one for the sticking and one for the cooling

[Offtopic] Why does American Pie 2 come to mind [/Offtopic]

But yup taking off the heatsink can be a pain on most cards, nothing but good old brute force for most, watch for any capacitors near the HSF too. Hercules Gf2's you could just pop off and the Blue Orb went straight into the same fittings. If you have a Leadtek/Asus/gainward or any with those huge heatsinks you're probably better just taking off the piddly excuse for a fan and sticking on a bigger one imho, no need to remove the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

thses fellas any good for cooling ?

There i got the orb yesterday luckily it just fitted on through the holes which was handy, i just put some artic silver on the chip and slapped it on. I cut up the old heatsink and put that on the ram using the thermal grease that came with the orb. I now have my card running at 215/215, not as much as i hoped, well the orb does its job i can run the gpu at 225mhz but i get a **** load of artifacts on screen, i ran 3dmark2001 all last night to burn it in, and i get a few less arifacts at 225mhz so i reckon i might be able to swing 220 in a few days. I only put on the ram sinks today so maybe i'll see a bit of improvement in a few days. In 3dmark2001 i get 2720 (P3-700@966, 215/215) good improvement from 2082 when cpu and gfx are at default speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I have a hercules 3dprophet 64mb ddr 4500XT.

Unfortunately the cooling that comes with the card is very shoddy. So shoddy in fact that when I went to put a new heatsink and fan for the core I didn't even have to do anything, the core had already lost contact with the crappy heatpaste that was their in the first place, and the fan was making grinding noises on occasion. it was hot to the touch!

I took off the old heatsink and fan and simply put back the heatsink with some thermal epoxy and a titan socket370 cooler which screwed right into the original heatsink no problem.

This cooled it down a little bit but the transistors at the front were still too warm to the touch for my liking (is there a proggie that will tell you what the graphics card temps are?)

To cool them I got another titan socket 370 cooler and a cotton bud! I removed the cotton and stuck the piece of plastic through the hole for the screws and used sellotape to widen the stick so it would sit firmly in one of the little holes at the front of the card(on the topside of the transistors).............which is now always cool to the touch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Thermaltake designed the peg placement to NVIDIA's reference specs, so it should work with most GeForce video cards. So you should be able to mount it using the pegs in the holes on your card. If the holes don't line up the orb comes with some thermal tape. This is a one-time application. After you use your tape, you're going to have to find another way to stick the Crystal Orb onto your next video card, if it doesn't have proper peg placement.

I ordered my crystal orb last night, My HSF is glued on so ill go with gerry on his idea, put it in a bag and in the freezer or stick it in a vice and twist it, if your card isn't held down with pegs then its going to be glue. Also after you take it off, clean the old glue off the chipset.

Vac

yesh, forgot to mention that. You will need some sandpaper and some patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

very fine sand paper. Felt might actaully be better, just rub the paste off. Don't use the stuff for wood for christ's sake, you'll destroy the slug.

Advertisement