Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single of the year...

Options
  • 19-12-2001 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

... i reckon tis The Blowers Daughter by Damien Rice. Cant think of anything else that has been quite as good. what do y'all think?

Seán.

p.s. sorry for starting *another* thread like this, i'm just bored.

The Murder of Crows

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

Does he ever stop getting on my wick!! I've heard that name just as much as the infamous (and just as wick stomping) Glen! oh Glen! Does the music live up to the teenage student hipe, and if so where can I go get it, so as to asess him for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

Back to Front, have you ever heard Damien Rice play. He really is all that and more. Blowers Daughter is the best single of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Uncle Neddy

Damien Rice ?!!?? Please don't tell me the song you're talking about is that insipid "can't take my mind offa you" sh ite. That is one of the worst songs I have heard in my life. Maybe he has a back-catalogue of stuff which is amazing but that one song is atrocious.:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

nick cave's 15 feet of pure white snow was perhaps the best single of the year, in my opinion. it actually contained humour along with a great tune. mercury rev's nite and fog was also very very good. daft punks trilogy of singles are also worth a mention. damien rice's song is nice. it's fine. it's nothing special. and that bit at the end where he repeats in a breathy voice is (unintentionally) funny. is it supposed to sound spontaneous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

why do all you cynical twats pretend to hate great music? open your ears... damien rice is a very talented man, there really is no arguing with that, so dont.

Seán.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Uncle Neddy

P-T, I don't try to dislike great music. I love great music. My deinition and yours differ that's all. Part of my message was to establish if that was the same song you were talking about, as it is the only song I have heard by Damien Rice. I did say he may have some great material. I just happen to really really dislike that song. I think it is a very weak song and I don't like the voice either. My opinion. There is another song on phantom which has the same effect - some woman wailing "cigarettes, horses and trees...." or something. They are the 2 songs that grate on me at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

nah bets single out of everything?

to ask that is a bit stupid but how and ever the daft punk stuff was actually quite refreshing this year very good....

but as for 2001 on a whole and irish music
    crashing and burning.....
    bands are here there and everywhere sure your music gets played and some twat likes it but honestly if there was any release by a band this year from ireland that i thought was actually pretty good was that EP fromm Brando.
    I'm not some big massive fan but its was actually quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"The Blowers Daughter by Damien Rice" - terrible song, lyrics aren't up to much and neither is the vocal performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Well maybe im just a romantic fool...but I love that song! Gets me every time.... although, I wouldn't say single of the year cos well, I dunno it's not very singley or sumthin (am I making any sense?) It's hard to call.....hash pipe, hard to explain, sing, knives out, this is love,romeo.... i dunno. But god i was in bits laughing when i saw pyramid song on the listing of Now103 or whatever it is one of those god awful compilations anyway....right after dj pied piper or some such sh it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This is an odd topic... To be honest.

I personaly never buy singles, so I couldn't quite say.

I know this post seems a little off-topic, but... Could someone explain to me the point of buying a single?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

The point of buying a single Angelwhore, is to get the B- Sides. I've never found any other reason anyway. Either that, or you wait a few years to get the compilation of B-Sides and rarities, but I've never had the patience. Singles are too bloody expensive in Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Originally posted by p-t saviour
    why do all you cynical twats pretend to hate great music? open your ears... damien rice is a very talented man, there really is no arguing with that, so dont.

Seán.

i think everyone should have what PiE has as his signature: OPINION!!! so that people like sean can be informed as to what it is. sean: PiE's signature is even a link to a dictionary definition! how handy is that for you?!

damien rice has some nice songs. to be honest the only thing which actually gets me on his records, the only hint of originality is the cello parts, which are in complete contrast to his rather obvious song structure. and obviously what with damien rice not being able to play the cello, the parts weren't written by him ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 evil_L

aww poor p-t!!! i agree with u,,the blowers daughter is a fantabulous song!! n im dying to c damien rice live,,but thanx to my being in limerick (college) and my stopid broken immune system ive been too sick n not here to c him :( dunno if twud b the best single of the year tho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

My favourite single of the year so far is probably "Les Fleur" by 4Hero, it's a cover but a very nice one, there's been loads of gr8 singles this year, much better than some of the godawful singer-songwriter ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rob Taylor

For me, single of the year is probably Ash's "Shining Light". I couldn't stop humming it when i heard it first. Also love REM's "I'll Take The Rain" and Mundy's "Mexico".

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Single of the year has to be Ash - "Burn Baby Burn"
    If not that, Dandy Warhols - "Bohemian Like You"

I'm Scuzzy and that's My Two Cents. Good Evening.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

single of the year..hummm.
    nick cave 15- feet of pure white snow..or maybe tool-schism...
    cant think of anything else great this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Sooooo all on all a rather bleak year for singles?
    HUMM:p :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Oh I likes "I worked my self into a calm" by Gemma Hayes its gotta wee bit of a MBV thing going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

gemma hayes and MBv give me a break
    um did'nt bohemian like you come out in 2000 but was only heard on other stations other than phantom around abouts the voda phone ad.

New Order who may not be in their most original of mood but still have some kool songs this year

• Advertisement
Advertisement