Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motherboard

• 19-12-2001 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Im having trouble picking out a motherboard... Anyone wanna help me ? :) .. please !
    I need one that supports an AthlonXP and DDR. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

The Elite K7S5A is only £110 and supports up to XP1900 and DDR RAM. I'm gonna pick one up soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ive been using the Abit KG7-RAID mobo for the last few weeks and its the business :) onlly 109 stg too.
    From Overclockers.co.uk

Abit KG7-RAID (Socket A - AMD Thunderbird/Duron) (MB-004-AB)
    With 4 Dimms and 6 PCI the KG7 is designed for power users. Supporting 200MHz and 266MHz FSB Athlons and Durons, and PC1600 and PC2100 DDR SDRAM. Add native UDMA100 support for blistering hard drive performance and you have a platform for the most demanding enthusiast. Includes full RAID 0/1 support (Striping and Mirroring) and upto 8 UDMA100 devices for the most demanding applications.

A detailed review of the Abit KG7-RAID may be found over at VIA Hardware
    Featuring :
    » 4 x 184pin DDR-SDRAM slots
    » 6 x PCI slots
    » AGP (4x) slot
    » UDMA100 IDE slot
    » 4 x USB ports

A 400W PSU is advised if you intend to overclock with the KG7

Full Specification

Price: £109.00 (£128.08 Including VAT at 17.5%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

There's a fellah asking me about mobos for his new Box.

Anything your'd reccomend:

RAID. or 8 IDE channles would be nice :)

no integrated Video or Sound.

he's gettign a Athlon 1900 with PC2100

alsao cases or monitors would be nice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Stay away from abit if you can, myself and a couple of friends have had trouble with their boards.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I was gonna go with the Gigabyte GA-7DXR, Are Gigabyte any good..? Is that motherboard any good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I hope you are not just considering it because you saw it in peats. Its a good board, but newer boards based on the via kt266A chipset are faster. Decent examples of these boards are the asus a7v-266 - e, the abit kr7a and the epox 8kha+. The epox is the cheapest out of this lot, and around 86 sterling + vat on www.overclockers.co.uk. Its just as fast and stable as the other two, perhaps not quite as fancy, but worth the cash. I'll be putting a machine together based on it this weekend, and I'll report any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've got an Abit KG7-RAID.

I find it to be a very nice board.

I havn't had any problems with it.

Its a good board and as Syxer mentioned:

Theres two extra IDE controllers for RAID.

No intergrated graphics or sound.

I'd say that there probably are cheaper DDR boards out there but I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Xithus
    Im having trouble picking out a motherboard... Anyone wanna help me ? :) .. please !
    I need one that supports an AthlonXP and DDR. Thanks.

i'm in the same boat as Xithus (so i'll just jump on this bandwagon instead of starting a new thread :D )

i was going to order from Dabs cause the flat deilvery fee they have for shipping here. I was thinking of getting the epox 8kha+ but dabs don't supply it. can anyone recommend a good one they do supply with similar features (good for overclocking)???

Also, could anyone who has ordered from Overclockers tell me how much they charge for delivery to ireland???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm building a machine with the epox 8kha+ now, so far I am very impressed with this board. It doesn't have much over the abit kg7, (bear in mind that the epox only has 2 ide channels), however it will be faster due to the kt266a chipset. It has a few nice features, like the diagnostic led, and it also has an "easy boot" feature which lets you pick your boot device on bootup, very handy since you can install an os on the first boot.

Ocuk charged me £25 quid sterling for delivery, (lynx euro 48 and I was impressed, since it got here in 40 hours :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Gerry
    (lynx euro 48 and I was impressed, since it got here in 40 hours :) )

:eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    i ordered stuff of overclockers.co.uk A MONTH AGO - they dispached it to this LYNX crowd the next day and so far no word from them - im constantly bleeting at oc.co.uk tho but im not happy with this LYNX arsébangers ar all !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Scruff:

Delivery from O/c'ers depends on the quantity that you are shipping. If you are only shipping a single light item can be as low as £6 STg afaik (My GF2 Ti was £8 Stg for delivery). That uses International Special Delivery. (Similar to an Insured SwiftPost as far as I know) I think you can go to 3 items at that price. (maybe its 2)

Once you go over a few items you have to use courier based delivery which is more expensive (starting at about £20 Stg). Each item automatically adds delivery to your order so you can do up a sample cart, go to checkout, select Ireland for delivery and it will show you total delivery cost. By adding and removing items you can see what their individual deilvery costs (ie. A monitor or speaker set might add a lot)

Advertisement