Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD - player

• 24-07-2000 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I decieded to liven up my POS car with a wee CD player. It's not one of those autochanger-in-the-boot jobies (that's a techinical term smile.gif ) - it's the type where you connect the power-in to the cigarette lighter and the audio-out to a tape that goes in the cassette player. The cheap kind redface.gif

Well some1 bought me a CD-walkman and I had to make some use of it! smile.gif

The problem is - it keeps stoping. The CD-player itself pauses and the power-supply isn't cut off. The cable between the audio-out, the remote and the tape dosn't come loose. It must be the tape.
    I RTFM but that wasn't very informative - so I tried looking up "Goodmans" in several different search engines and kept getting a concrete company mad.gif I even tried some e-shops but couldn't find anything there either.

I know the problem is the tape - and I know it's not a bug, it's a feature. I wanted to find out exactly how it works and why it's stopping so that I can maximise playing time.

Anybody use these thingies? (that's another technical term smile.gif )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Are you sure its not the vibration causing your CDplayer to lose track?
    You said it was cheap, so there probably isnt much of an anti-shock buffer.
    You can get antishock cradles specifically for Disc-mans and cars (They just sit on your dashboard and hold the Disc-man on a spring loaded mount), or get a better model with a larger Anti-Shock buffer.

The tape-adapter shouldn't be a problem, I got one for a mate of mine to use his MD in his car and it works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

perhaps it dislikes you?

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

those anti shock cradles look gay in cars..
    dont go near them smile.gif
    discman only pauses when you play it with the tape adapter? not any other time?
    because audio out is just that.. audio out.. it has absolutely no control over the cd player.
    your right though could be the tape thats just jumping or pausing in its output.. have no idea how that could happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's on a shock-proof thing but the CD player itseld also has a 40 second DASP (digital anit-shock protection). The CD-Player itself is quite a good one - it's just the car-kit as opposed to the car-CD-system that was cheap option.
    There also doesn't seem to be any noticiable difference in when it stops. I've had it play just fine on REALLY bumpy roads and pause on completely flat ones.

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing wrong with the CD player or the car-kit(the tape or the power supply). I'm pretty sure that this is normal operation for the system. I just don't know exactly how it operates and how I can get the best out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

try using the battries for it . if its still stopping bring it back . also try this
    turn off the a.shock as mine did the same thing for a while and that fixed it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ah now kev, thats just idle speculation. However, if you purchased it in josef maplins store .....

can't turn off the a-shock cos it's automatic and I used to use the batteries when I first got it but took 'em out later. The problem occured with and without the batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I got a reasonably cheap sony one for the car and it's grand, i'd say it's the tape adaptor.

I think it works by recording the sound onto the tape - then the cassette player plays the tape normally. At some point it's going to come to the end of the tape and have to be re-wound. The problem is if I rewind the tape for 30 minutes (it rewinds faster than it plays) I can only play it for ten minutes before it pauses - then I have to rewind again.

The manual dosn't say how it works and I don't think what I said above is exactly right. I don't think it's broken - I just don't understand how it works. There'snot much in the manual, barely shows how to set it up - tho you'd have to be retarded not to figure that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Blitz are you sure there's actually tape inside it? Usually there's just a magnetic head that sits onto the read-head in your tape-deck, no actual tape involved. It's actually easier to do it that way than build a recorder into the tape-adapter.
    If it does have tape (Bloody odd) try getting a 'normal' one from http://www.Keene.Co.Uk , they're fairly cheap and reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

Blitz k I used to spend hours making up units to hold and protect even a d/man with no a/s.

1. Had a back plate for the d/man it clipped onto it. positioned the unit vertically and looking from the drivers seat at the (top of the) unit had 2 hooks one on the left and on the right (behind) d/man plate they were then attached to some ribbon type elastic which provided perfect balance.

2. there were others but try using foam or elastic support. Foam would probably be best!

Most music stores to a d/man -> car kit containing the ciggy adptr and tape kit approx cost £20. get one on the terms of sale and return! incase it still cuts out.
    That tape bit is wierd! does the unit cut out when its being played on a table?

U said it (the CD player?) PAUSES...? the tape kit wouldnt and cant cause this as it doesnt have an interface jack to interfere with remote controlls. perhaps a faulty button? Power problem the display would obviously cut out.
    Send it back! sell it and buy a minidisc or mp3 player. gl

I'm considering taking it back cos I still have the receipt and box and all but lately it seems to be running fine redface.gif Isn't that always the way - u call in a repairman and the thing works fine mad.gif It's only paused once in the last week. confused.gif

Advertisement