Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limited period DVD multi-region

• 27-07-2000 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

My brother recently got a Compaq Presario 1685 laptop with multi-region DVD player, which he was very happy with. Until he discovered that the player only stays multi-region for a certain number of region changes (something crap like 3 times), after which it locks itself into one region.

Needless to say he's fairly ****ed off. One of the main reasons he bought a laptop with a DVD player was so he could watch any region.

Is there any way around this? I've heard of DVD drives being fairly easy to mess with, although laptop drives are probably a different story. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Yeah, go download a ultility called the "dvd genie". It will enable any region an unlimited number of times for most dvd players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, i have dvd genie and it allows you to change it as many times as you want through it.
    be careful of changing it the normal way, as sometimes they hardware lock leaving you with region 56 or something wiered forever, even a format and reload wont work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Excellent.
    Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Some drives also limit the amount of region changes. You can check your drive at http://www.7thzone.com and download a new firmware for it if it needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭riam

What they're reason for limiting the number of times it can be changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

It's like those plastics sachets of tomato ketchup you get in most canteens for 10p or so. ****in ******* to open the ****ers. Basically, I'm sure it's, like those ****ing plastic sachets, is there to annoy people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's just adherence to copyright, had to be done to get Hollywood to really sign on for DVD.
    If worst comes to worst (Where did that saying ever come from?...) and you have the drive space you could copy the .VOB files to your Hard Drive (Some are protected so you may need to use DECss to do it)and just play them in a software player (All the popular ones can be region-changed an unlimited amount of times with DVD genie). This is time consuming though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Mat****sa DVD players from gateway have serious problems figuring out what the hell they're at , usually gives me a "region not correct" even if it is , and proceeds to play it anyway , true multi-region , heheh kinda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ere tin find any solution for that tomato ketchu packet problem yet??
    damn they're annoying..

http://www.filmsoc.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Richer sounds on the quays have a large stock of region 0 players...cheapest is about £250, not bad for what your getting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement