Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono Is A Poohead

Options
  • 19-12-2001 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

BONO IS A POOHEAD................................Discuss.

(Wouldn't ya just love if ya got that on the English Paper in the leaving!!)

Earns a disgustin amount of money and then gives these waffly
    speeches about charity and how we can be better people. Big fat poolicker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by poobags
    BONO IS A POOHEAD................................Discuss.

(Wouldn't ya just love if ya got that on the English Paper in the leaving!!)

Earns a disgustin amount of money and then gives these waffly
    speeches about charity and how we can be better people. Big fat poolicker.

Well ... he's done more for charities and 3rd world debts then most other celebrities put together.

What, may I ask, have you ever done in your little life to this end?? The guy is able to stand up there and tell us all how we can be better people cause he HAS tried to make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TONY MONTANA

well i have to go with lemming on this one....the man has done more 4 world dept than any other person since geldof brought us band aid,the money he earns are due to two things 1,he is in one of the best bands ever to grace gods green earth,and 2.he didnt piss all his money down the drain,he invested in some very high risk ventures that came through for him.......theres not many other band types who have such a good business sence....oh that old green eyed monster is back...bono bashing is the greatest load of b****x going....the man is the coolest export we have so take the time to make up your own mind in these matters and dont jump on the BONO IS S***E BECAUSE HE IS bandwagon''''''

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

After being involved in a similar discussion elsewhere in this forum I have no desire to start in on this one. Anyhow…

Without doubt he is one of the few celebrities to ever get anything done in real terms for the poor of the world. The attitude of some on this forum is really starting to bore me. I don't see how doing the drop the dept stuff could be taken as anything but altruistic, certainly by anyone with an open mind and no chip on their shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would like him as a friend?

(Without his money and fame etc, and of course, going on what you THINK you know about him, seeing as none of us actually DO know him...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

he can poo on my head any time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by PiE
    Just out of curiosity, how many of you would like him as a friend?

(Without his money and fame etc, and of course, going on what you THINK you know about him, seeing as none of us actually DO know him...)

I have a few friends that have actually met him. One guy was working on his house doing window fittings or some such for a while, and he said to me that Bono was absolutely bang on and very friendly. He'd [Bono] stop and chat to him every morning just before and after getting back from his morning run(I think it was if I can remember). Now, the guy that told me this I've known since 1st year in secondary school, and he doesn't bullsh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

...like meglome said there isn't much of an argument on this one
    except for people who are arguing out of spite. Lemming and tony have closed the case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Fair nuff. Still though, thats 3rd hand information...

I just think it's very funny how you all jump to his defense every time a bad word is so much as uttered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

oh WOW its so great 3rd world debt celebrities oh how ****ing fantastic.
    i hate the man i don't care give me New Order over U2 anyday....

bono doe'snt care what we say causae hes loaded so there....

U2 are awful in comparisant to many other bands 80's 90's

XTC, The replacements, Black Flag, Primal Scream, New Order, pixies all better than U2.......
    its just hype and i agree with Pie and mostly what he/she says.....

bleah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by meglome
    The attitude of some on this forum is really starting to bore me. I don't see how doing the drop the dept stuff could be taken as anything but altruistic, certainly by anyone with an open mind and no chip on their shoulder.

I think I'll just quote myself on this one. I only hope you're joking Ragamuffin cause otherwise I feel sorry for you going through life with opinions you obviously haven't thought through or is it just small mindedness. Smell the flowers before it too late is my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Is it just me or has Bono had hair transplants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Don't like to flame but Mr Poobags and Mr Raggamuffin have just joined my famous Tit List. Allow me to explain a simple process:
    Engage Brain -> Engage Mouth
    or in this case
    Engage Brain -> Engage Keyboard

Tis very simple, think before you spout your bollox all over the boards :) so Bono is rich, automatically he's a greedy bastard who couldn't care what anyone thinks? Er... no.
    Primal Scream better than U2? Actually I used to think that too... when I was 12. U2 stand out as being one of the very few bands of the 80s and 90s that weren't complete and utter ****e.

Bono has done more for charity than pretty much anyone I can think of, he actually helps as opposed to simply publicising himself like Diana and plenty of other celebs who spring to mind.
    What do you want the guy to do, give every last coin to charity and then live in a cardboard box eating dead rats? Would ye leave the guy alone then? Nah, you'd find some other reason to whine.

Allow me to re-iterate...
    Engage brain first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

Bono is without a doubt an annoying ****er. From what i've read and heard him say. Fair enough the charity stuff is good but he never gives it a rest.
    I wonder how much money he actually has given to the cause though, it'd just be interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

In all fairness, who cares, each to their own me thinks. Bono does seem to do a lot for charity etc etc however its only a small cut of his potential of doing, and so therefore i do think he should stop preaching as if he were mother theresa. he does end up sounding like a pretentious self glorified egotist. pants me arse, people arguing whether he's sound or not, that really dosn't affect us.:cool: ;) :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

lol

Amen Zaphod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

I'd like to defend myself.

Firstly I'm not a tit.

Secondly I'm sick of Bono. I don't see why he goes to every charity event to be publised. Why not do your bit in private. Give loads of aid where its needed. All Bono seems to do is highlight a problem already highlighted. We are dim witted, we know there are people worse of in the world. Why not do his bit in private.
    He goes round shakin the hands of every Tom dick and harry.
    What the **** is that doin for people dying.

In response to LEmming I do my bit. I do it in private. Every time I volenter for of give money to cancer research I dont ring the local paper. I dont insist on having my photo taken giving an oversized cheque to someone.

AND Thirdly U2 are a boring band. Lets stop calling them our best export causr there not we have way more talented bands out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Whether or not Ireland considers U2 to be its best export, many people in other countries consider it the best import.

As for why he publicises his associations with charities, he is a famous guy and has fans/followers, therefore he sets an example. If he did it all in private we wouldn't hear about it. Its also worth noting that NOT everyone knows about the problems these charities are up against and NOT everyone cares. To millions of people the suffering of others is nothing more than a joke, after all they're only Ethiopians so who gives a damn rite?
    I hope you see my point here; I'm sure you do care and I'm sure you do contribute, but many others don't do either. If you or I try to raise awareness about world issues not much comes of it, if the rich and famous do it there's likely to be more of an effect.

Finally I retract my allegations of titness, which I based on your liberal use of the word poo and apparent lack of any point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CrazyHorse4

I think he is a Bit of a Poohead

Happy Christmas
    Joyeux Noel
    Frohliche Weihnachten
    Nollaig Shona
    Feliz Navidad,

etc.

Its actually the 27th right now.....is Christmas over?
    Happy New year
    Whatever "happy new year" is in French
    " " in German
    " " in Spanish
    " " in Italian
    " " in Irish

P.S That WOULD be a great topic to get for the English Leavin' exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Ah leave bono alone

the guys is a perminent state of stonedness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 swinecullen

Originally posted by Lemming

I have a few friends that have actually met him. One guy was working on his house doing window fittings or some such for a while, and he said to me that Bono was absolutely bang on and very friendly. He'd [Bono] stop and chat to him every morning just before and after getting back from his morning run(I think it was if I can remember). Now, the guy that told me this I've known since 1st year in secondary school, and he doesn't bullsh*t.

yea i no a guy that new them all and he said that bono and edge were total ass***** but larry and adam were the 2 sound 1s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

I'll reserve some type of judgement on 'our lad' Bono but my one cent's worth is that they were shi te at Slane. That last album: "back to basics" they said. Yeah, with a fuc kin 48 track studio. Pop was far far better. I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

bono as a person..well i dont know him i cant imagine thta ll this fame might not have made him a bit of an arsehole (but wonders will never cease), especially when he quoted u2 as the best band in the world, and out of all the bands in the world...no. not for me, and not for a lot of people
    its good that he does do some bit for charity, however small, because every little bit helps and i think its good he does it publicly because it sets a good example...i dont think hes amazing or anything becuse of it though.
    but his music does nothing for me, u2 have had few moving songs but thats about it..and the new album was TRIPE, i ws made listen to it repeatedly, and the only song that was a little bit ok ws elevation.
    and thats my bit

Advertisement