Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RaQ + Telnet

Options
  • 19-12-2001 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Just got myself a Raq and would appriciate if someone could point me in the direction of helpful sites, particualarly on installing software and telneting in general. After googling + ask.com'in, i've found very little in the lines of RaQ for Dummies web sites. If you know of ANYTHING just post back.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

1) Install SSH on the machine. You'll find prebuilt packages here.

2) Disable all telnet accounts on the machine through the GUI.

3) After that, you should bring the machine up to date.

Now, and only now, should you start tinkering. It's not particularly hard, since the RaQ OS is essentially Red Hat Linux somewhere around 6.x. A good place to start is probably linuxnewbie.org. You should also make use of the cobalt-users mailing list, the community is very helpful.

Two things to remember:

1) Although it's essentially Red Hat Linux, it's not the same thing. Installing Red Hat packages may break the machine. If in doubt, ask on the list first.

2) If you break something when you're tinkering, your warranty is gone. Both Cobalt and Sun are more forgiving these days, but they (and your hosting provider if the machine is rented) have the right to disown you and/or charge you huge fees for support if you break something. Be careful.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 badboy

Cheers adam, I'll be checking out the cobalt users group.

My isp DID set up the server and install perl + others. I do a small bit of php programming and would like to be able to use php on the server but it wasn't installed. I COULD ask my isp to install it and pay extra, but we all have to learn at some stage, or at least I want to learn :D

I see there is an option in the cobalt control panel to install software from a website / upload it off you pc. I haven't ventured into this yet, as adam said, loosing warranty etc. So a step by step tutorial link would be v helpful one could find one. :confused:

Advertisement