Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Broadband in the UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

truly sickening. Its nice to see such a big telco taking an iniciative like this though (yes, crappy spelling I know). Eircom watch and learn..

wire up our exchanges, finish your 'trials' and let us DIY our own dsl

Seriously though, kudos to the heads at BT. I think I'll move back to england

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Sweet as dude. I can't wait to move to the UK where I will be able to setup my own DSl and then download as much donkey Pron as I wish:D :cool: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

One may only gaze in envy

To anyone like me who dreams of getting out from under "the man" and getting their own operation going the telcos in this country are just an obstacle. We need thousands of small innvative tech, web and other companies providing the "compost" from which world-class indigenous companies can develop and sustainable growth be generated. We need the infrastructure, nationwide, to encourage this.

Instead we rely on tax scams to create the celtic (paper) tiger consequently if the USA economy does pull up soon we are shafted, see;

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2001/1220/fro1.htm

All I can say to eircom, esat etc is to paraphrase Al Pacino in "Glengarry Glenross" where he loses his temper with the boss; "You are meant to be here to help us, not to F**K - US - UP"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jmason

Unfortunately the article's title is misleading. It's not DIY DSL really, it's just DIY installation to a commercial DSL provider (with their caps, monthly fees etc.)

You get your own "DSL modem" and cables, a username and pwd from the ISP, and hook 'em up yourself, saving the 150 quid installation fee.

Of course, with Eircom that'll probably be a 400 quid installation fee, so not to be sniffed at ;)

Advertisement