Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those cheeky Eircom ba$tards sent me another card!

Options
  • 19-12-2001 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Now they're really starting to piss me off. After sending me a Christmas E-Card the other day to my Hotmail address (I still don't know how they got that address, by the way), I checked my Eircom.net e-mail thi evening. Sure enough, there was another of those friggin' cards waiting for me. This time it was sent from a different address within Eircom, though.

Now, it was bad enough sending me the first of these hollow, empty e-cards but this second one? Obviously they didn't even bother to read the e-mail I sent them in reply. F**king ba$tards! I have totally had it with his attitude and way Eircom operate. I'm going to send them another e-mail and insist on a reply this time. And if I don't get one by the New Year I will send them another one, and another, and another, in addition to numerous phone calls I'm also going to start making to them now. If I have to wage a one-man crusade against these f**kers, then so be it. Who's with me? Can I count on the support of Ireland Offline?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

em not being a spokesman for ioffl, I would have to say no, ioffl, will not take part in actions that can be reported badly in the press because it has to keep up its reputation to have any kind of influence, and you can bet your bottom dollar that such actions would be badly reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in my initial post, Baz. I guess I was a bit angry at the time but I've calmed down a bit since.

What I want to do is just send them a polite e-mail pointing out my anger and disgust with them and these e-cards they've been sending me. I'm not going to flame them or send them dozens of e-mails every day. I'm just going to repeat the things I said in my initial e-mail to them but this time look for a reply. If I don't get one by the New Year I will contact them again and if I don't get a reply within a sufficient amount of time after that I will contact them again. As I said, I'm not going to try and overload their servers or e-mail inboxes or anything, just contact them until they reply adequetely to my e-mails. I was just wondering if Ireland Offline would support such actions, i.e. their members doing their bit for the campaign and taking the time to contact Eircom themselves rather than leave it up to a few people on the IOFFL committee. I believe we all have our part ot play, no matter how small, but only to do it in a polite, logical way and not organising riots, flame mailing or trying to carry out DoS attacks on Eircom's servers as some people on this forum have suggested.

Would Ireland Offline support that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Not making any comment wrt what IOFFL would support...

If it is really annoying you (and it would annoy me)

1. Request they take you off their mailing list under the Data Protection Act. They have either 21 days or 40 days to comply (can't remember which) but you may have to send the request in qriting (most companies will just comply but they may not) - a fax would do

2. Is this unsolicited mail? Yup. So send in a report via spamcop.net anyway. They won't have your mail address from that so you'll still have to do step 1 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

I got one of those Christmas cards from Eircom.net aswell. I just copied the mail I sent to Eircom.ie and pasted it into a new mail and sent it off to them. Wether they read it now is another matter, but one can only do so much. Eircom are so badly organised and run that they probably wont give a **** and all our replies will be sent to the bin. BTW, they have 40 days to act on your request to remove you from their mailing list under the Data Protection Act 1988 ( whoever thought all that Busorg would come in handy ;) .

Whats needed to get Eircom off their arses and start acting fairly and decently is some good government legislation amongst other things. As long as we have our corrupt politicians in power, that is less likely to happen. Eircom have too much power now, they need a good kick in the arse, yet atm its impossible for the government to do that really. I can only hope some competition will come in and finish them off.

Matt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

[Too hungover to reply in any detail. Oh the pain.]

1. Request they take you off their mailing list under the Data Protection Act. They have either 21 days or 40 days to comply (can't remember which) but you may have to send the request in qriting (most companies will just comply but they may not) - a fax would do

40 days. www.dataprivacy.ie. Read it. Use it.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

The data protection act covers data used for "direct marketing". "Other purposes" are ok.

Does the message (quoted below), annoying though it is, constitute marketing, or could it be called information about the eircom.net xmas customer-service ?
    We would like to wish you and your family a very
    Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year.

Please click here to view your Christmas e-card.
    http://home.eircom.net/Xmas/cards/happy_christmas.html

Best wishes from all the team
    at eircom net

P.S. For Christmas opening hours click here:
    http://home.eircom.net/Xmas/hours/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

looks like marketing to me... mainly because they stuck in a mention of their opening hours at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Pragmatica

The one I got was diffrent and half of it was marketing ...

Dear xxxxxxx

Please pick up your christmas greeting here
    http://mmm.eircom.ie/ecards/xmas/ecard.asp?id=YMQL5SZNLXOK7936YK2VE6KI6J

Happy Christmas from all at eircom.ie

Don't forget that with www.eircom.ie you can
    * View your itemised bill for free
    * Pay your Bill online by laser, Direct Debit or Internet Banking
    * Order eircom Products and Services
    * Report and Track Faults
    * Look up Business and Residential numbers on our Directory Enquiries

We look forward to seeing you in the new year

......Things are a little eircom.ieasier