Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking

• 29-07-2000 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

ive recently acquired a PIII500 and im considering overclocking it. Anyone know how well they overclock??

the motherboard is a Abit BH6, 100MHz Dimms,
    standard heatsink.

At the very leasty i will be changing the heatsink for a heatsink/fan combo.

Any suggestions on the topic would be welcome.

Stephen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

First off, do you need to over clock your system? You can mess stuff up by doing it.

Anyway, the only way to overclock your system is to change your FSB speed, I think the BH6 has SoftCPU or what ever in the BIOS, just use the user define setting in the bios to set your FSB up to the next setting, And then try boot your system, there's no need to worry about the multiplyer as thats locked. Run a Quake demo or something to stress you CPU and system. If it's stable then your OK.

Just 2 other things, a) make sure you get some active cooling eg. a fan, overclocking heat's you chip up. b)Overclocking by this method run's every thing in you system at a faster freq, memory, AGP, PCI the work's, see your manual for details, not you will also be going beyond the spec of your RAM,

Oh and I just thought of a c) you can up the Core voltage of your chip to gain stability IF your box is crashing. But you start to really shorten the life of the CPU.

But remember do you really need to overclock your machine.

[This message has been edited by dollar (edited 29-07-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You should be able to push the fsb to around 115 at least. I cant remember exactly, but I dont think the bh6 has many fsb settings around the 110-120 mark. To get to 124 fsb, you will need serious cooling, and a voltage of 2.1 - 2.2. It doesnt really shorten the lifespan of your chip that much, unless you put the voltage really high, I think you believe too much of the scaremongering. My p3 450 ran solid for a year overclocked, and my p3 600 has run at 900+ for a few months now. I dont intend keeping it 10 years, but I bet it would still be running then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Go straight for 124 FSB, core 2.05, Speed error hold off, 620 mhz.

Blade

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

While we're on the subject, I can't get any results OCing a Celeron 400 on an Abit BX6 (rev2) running PC100 RAM, I've tricked about with FSB and core voltage plus I've purchased a $50 cooling fan without results.
    Has anyone had any luck with this combo?

Fing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

>>Go straight for 124 FSB, core 2.05, Speed error hold off, 620 mhz.

Worked fine. Ran through a few games of Unreal Tourney with out a problem. Currently using the default heatsink and a fan cable-tied to the front of it for cooling.
    Unfortunetly there is a problem, my network card is refusing to work with the overclocked PCI bus. All other cards on the PCI bus work fine (sound, scsi). The network card is a SMC ethernet II 10/100.

Stephen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement