Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does such a device exist?

• 30-07-2000 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Ok here's the story...

I want to connect a digital camera to my poor old P200. The camera connects to a standard serial port, and herein lies the problem: I have only one serial port, which is used by my mouse. I haven't got any PS2 ports to use as an alternative.

So - is it possible to get some sort of device to either:
    a) split the serial port to allow two devices to connect at once (some people have already said this is impossible).

or

b) is there some sort of ISA/PCI card I can get with additional serial ports, or PS2 ports etc on it?

or even

c) My computer's parallel and serial ports aren't actually ON the motherboard. They're connected to the motherboard by what look like really thin IDE cables. I don't need one of these - would it be possible to remove one and replace it with a serial port? Both the parallel ports and the serial port have the same size connection on the motherboard. (the technical terms in use here wink.gif)

Any help would be appreciated.

- Munch
    - Sh33r l33tn35$, i tell you
    - Fortress.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Umm, are you sure you only have one serial port? That's very unusual. On old boards there should be one long serial port, one short serial port (which the mouse is using) and the parallel port.

There are cards with extra serial ports on them, yes. Dunno how much they are though.

The connectors on the board may look the same but they do very different things. A parallel header expects a parallel port. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Actually, teeth, i think you're right - there is one long port that looks a lot like a parallel port. The camera, however uses a nine pin port? is there a dongle to convert the long-serial port for 9-pin use?

- Munch
    - Sh33r l33tn35$, i tell you
    - Fortress.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Actually I think that there is a little thing that you can get to convert the 9 pin yoke into the long one.....

How many pins does it have??

John

Stephen I might be able to get ya wan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Any PC store should have a 25-9 pin serial adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually i have one i got with my external; pace modem.
    not that you can have it, i was just mentioning it to be a bas7ard smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Munch..

Again, to the rescue..

I have one of them gizmo 25 -> 9 pin yokes lying around... If you still want it i will drop it in to statoil for ya...judt let me know.....

www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Licksy, he working tonight and he still wants it, he's in work in the morning.... To,

Hows the baby BTW.

John

Good man Licksy!! If its no trouble, could you drop it in on Monday morning (any time before 3 pm). Failing that I could pick it up somewhere.

Thanks biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

an additional serial/parallel port pci card is just twenty quid.

No need now, Licksy - got it sorted. Needed one gender changer and the 25-9 pin converter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yep but only while stocks last...

Advertisement