Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idea for that mod

• 20-12-2001 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I was just thinking about the whole 1916 type mod, why not have an ambush based mod based on some of the ambushes of that time?
    Lets say there's 8 Auxiliaries and 8 IRA guys. The IRA guys wait in hiding for the Aux to appear (Have 12 or 13 hiding places to make it interesting). There's a leader on both teams, after either one fires a round all hell breaks loose. The IRA boys win if they kill all the Aux, the Aux win if they can get to a certain point in the map or kill all the IRA boys.
    There are loads of spots around the country that we could use for maps, I could pop down to west cork for a day and take a few pics of ambush points.

Again this was just an idea but I think it would be pretty sweet, maybe a bit touché for some but...

What do you guys think?

And what's the story with the engine? Are we going with Torc?

Oh yeah "Vector Mathematician" hehe :) Sweeeeet :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Logik135

That sounds sort of similar to Team Fortress Classic: The Hunted. It is along the same lines but instead of ambushes it's just a sniper/assassination type of thing. I think the idea is pretty cool. It would probably have to be online multiplayer to be a success (just like The Hunted). Enemy artificial intelligence is difficult to realistically reproduce in a game. And to make the AI for an ambush team would probably be difficult. Some AI is already built into engines but as far as programming the needed attributes such as stealth to sneak around the ambush site, and the proper teamwork needed to coordinate an ambush (such as placement of people and time coordination of the ambush) this would be difficult to say the least. To make it online multiplayer for that particular part of the mod would work out great by leaving it up to the online gamers to plan and execute the ambush.

On another (and shorter) note. I think it would be a great idea to make the mod with the Torc engine. For several reasons. First, it would greatly help the people at Torc interactive to have a mod making community for their game because that is what makes great games survive these days. Less than 1% of all computer games written will sell more than 100,000 copies (100.000 for the people not from the US :) ). Half-Life, which has probably the biggest mod making community of all, has sold more than a million copies. Secondly, wouldn't it be great to be the first to make a mod for this game/engine? Even if everyone was an amatuer to begin with, after the first mod those few who worked on it will have more knowledge of the Torc DB engine than others who have been making mods for other games for years. And last but not least. This one is more important to those of you who live in Ireland which I do not. Several companies such as Valve and Raven Software have hired people who have made great mods for their games. Every company has their own API and if you work with it alot and you have used it to make great things with their engine then you have a good shot of getting hired by that company to make other games and software packs. Maybe even more of a chance since Torc Interactive is newly forming and has a good opportunity to get alot bigger very quickly.

Alright, maybe the last part wasn't shorter. ;)

Advertisement