Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doras Starts Charging ...

Options
  • 20-12-2001 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I read on Enn that as of next year Doras is gonna start charging people to be listed in their directory.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=5228818

What they're doing is similar to Yahoo, basically any site of a commercial nature will have to pay to be listed. But get this! They expect us to pay the full amount annually!

I know most people think Doras is crap and I'd agree with them (type in any popular search term and they'll usually serve you a dogs dinner of old tinet homepages) but they do have a good brand name so maybe some people will pay up.

What I wanna know is would people be prepared to pay annually for a listing on Doras! Doras!?!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

We should be charging them...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 badboy

eh, NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Absolutely not.

Doras is shite... always was shite ... possibly always will be shite. Utterly opinionated bullshit reviews written by people who think they're gods gift and the be all and end all as far as web site critiques go, but genuinely don't have a clue... - at least that's how they've always come across.

It's out of date, badly written, opinionated rubbish that's not worth using for free, nevermind paying for. As a single example (which, I'm sure, is representative of thousands) look at this "review" of the Malahide RFC site : here... according to Doras, it hasn't launched yet and only presents a 'coming soon' page... - yet the site went live 2 years ago.

The fact that they'd even CONSIDER charging for their pathetic so-called 'service' is laughable to say the least.

Good brand name my arse!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They obviously slated one of your sites then Niall??? :D:D:D

Anyway, they're toss. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Yes most people with a bit of search engine experience will laugh at Doras and everything it represents.

But for the majority of people who don't know their arse from their elbow (the people who search for Yahoo on Yahoo.com) Doras is a familiar name to them so I guess they might stump up the cash.

The presence on eircom.net doesn't hurt either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Kharn
    They obviously slated one of your sites then Niall??? :D:D:D

Gawd no, Dav... they adored ALL my sites !!! ... as they only SHOULD! ... heh :D

THEIR site, on the other hand, is just a complete bunch of arse ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Bejebus Niall

You must of felt like punching the muppet(tte) who must have given the sarciast of sarcastic reviews of all time....
    "The line sleeps tonight" :rolleyes: huh!

My one and only experience with doras was a 4 Rock affair so I cant really complain:)

Neway their site is Y front pants all the way so... they cant talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Bard
    Doras is shite... always was shite ... possibly always will be shite. Utterly opinionated bullshit reviews written by people who think they're gods gift and the be all and end all as far as web site critiques go, but genuinely don't have a clue... - at least that's how they've always come across.

Strange to be agreeing with you Bard. :) I have no great respect for the reviewers of Doras or indeed the people behind the scheme. Basically these people are technology journalists and I doubt very much if they have ever been involved with web development work. I remember e-mailing one of the head people in Doras questioning the abilities of these people in 1997. The reply was enlightening - apparently these people were all from some media course in DCU and that few months of job placement entitled them to be editors. Basically these people weren't even fit to be good journos let alone be editors. I think that they stopped calling these people 'editors' around that time.

Basically the reviews on Doras are worthless. The fact that Doras is now charging businesses for inclusion means that these reviews are corrupt and without value for the user.

It's out of date, badly written, opinionated rubbish that's not worth using for free, nevermind paying for.

This is because Doras does not make any effort to keep the reviews or dataset current. In essence these fools are merely aping Yahoo of 1996. Since the ideas were not originally their ideas, they never knew how to expand on them or innovate.

The best and funniest review is that for Rondomondo. http://www.doras.ie/doras.nsf/Reviews/80256af00047f85b802567f600510632

Rondomondo's website was a piece of ****e and it longer exists. In fact many of the 25000 websites that Doras claims to have reviewed no longer exist. There are 18000 or so .ie websites at the moment and most of these are not reviewed. The bulk of Doras' dataset seems to be personal sites and given the migration between ISPs, these are probably massively out of date too.

The fact that they'd even CONSIDER charging for their pathetic so-called 'service' is laughable to say the least.

Good brand name my arse!

I don't think that Doras has a good brand name. In reality Google has a far higher brand recognition and most people will use Google now. But here is the kill shot: if someone's website has been indexed by Google, it will appear in the results provided by Yahoo. Why waste the money on Doras?

The scheme targets business websites and is tied in with Webbusters. The higher tiers will have Webbusters provide a report of the website in question. The common thread is that the head guy of Webbusters was formerly head of content for Eircom. The reason that Doras is charging is because they have to justify their continued existence. I do not think that Doras deserves to survive. There are far better operations that deserve a chance.

Seasons Greetings. :)

Regards...jmcc
    PS: Is IrishWebPages a good name for an Irish search engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, bastards only gave me two fecking shamrocks for the masterpiece that is my asylum.

Advertisement