Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How cheap can you set up a lan

Options
  • 20-12-2001 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    not sure if this is the right place for this but i'll plough anyhew.

i'm lookin for info on setting up a lan, between my comp in my house and my friends who lives up the road a little, in an estate.

Like how cheap could this be done for? would ya be able to use wirless **** or would it need big ****in cables? But the main thing is the price. It be cool for movin files, or playing games. I'm always guttin my pc to bring up a spare hd to move large files. I know there are alrernatives like zips and that, but it be so cool once it was set up, and generally free ya?

I'm guessin its expensive no matter what you do, as not many people do it. But what options are there and at what price?

<edit>http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36288 Just found this on the old wirless section, tis nice, could do the job.</edit>

Thanks in advance,
    Alo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

IF the distance is less than 100 Meters then you won't need a wireless setup.
    I'd go for 2 10/100 Ethernet cards and a long bit of cable.
    Since you want it cheap you probably won't want to shell out for a hub/switch. Which is fine if you only have 2 computers.
    Should cost you only 20-30 pounds per NIC card.
    Don't buy 10Meg cards only use them if you get them for free.
    The cable will probably work out to be the expensive bit. It'l need to be a crossover cable. (RX and TX swapped).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

2 nic's crossover cable £26 marx-computers.com

Advertisement