Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 players

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

Ok nobody read it yet.. smile.gif
    Goto the DIGITAL MUSIC PLAYERS on the left!!
    the link seems to stay the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I still dont understand why anyone would shell out so much money for something that offers 1 or 2 hours playback. Then have to pay half the price of the walkman again to boost the time a little.

Just get a minidisk walkman for half the price, then each 74 mins costs you about 1.50.....

2 hours is the loaded capacity however 5 hours is the p/back time. from 1 aa batt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Ok, i actually contemplated buying the sony music clip then i found out about it , and have changed my mind in a big way.
    It doesnt play 'all' mp3's , it won't play alot of mp3's from the net due to its encryption protection or something like that.
    Its all to do with sony's new attempt to try to make illegal mp3's useless and in the process thier clip as well.
    It cant be upgraded with more ram , guess that was a given seeing as its so small.
    It has major problems with nicad batteries and despite the press release about sending broken clips back , they seem to be repaired but still open to overheating with nicad batteries anyway.
    I've always wanted a small/tiny digital music player but this is almost a handicapped version , so screw that

Pete

• Advertisement

Bugs!! whered ya read that report???
    I saw that on the sony site alright
    they gave the model no affected. but there have been revisions to models since then.
    I dont think there released in europe yet!
    I need to find out the supplied accessories with the unit for compatability over here.
    gimme a shout here with links thanks!
    nick

Yeah, but it's still a gimmick.
    There are so many new MP3 players out there, they can't be making a profit.
    Sure, they look cool, it sounds cool to say you have one, and they're nice and small - yuppies will love it for the MP3 buzzword factor alone.
    But an album and a half on $150 of memory?
    And 5 hours playback is actually pretty low.
    My MD player/recorder has 10 hours off the internal and 38 when you include the add on 3xAA pack. I have to charge it once every 3 weeks (And I use it everyday)

Hmm, this is nothing personal, sorry if the vehemence makes it seem that way. I just do not understand why anyone would get a ram based MP3 player. If they were sub $100 maybe.....

Well i already got the MD yoke but its a little outdated in the sense that its heavy on batts (9 hours) and bulky (MZ 30/35)
    and i have in the car so the little yoke from the states would only b £200 whereas a new MD player/recorder would b £250-£300
    oh...and b4 you say get a unit for the car dont....its a ford and doesnt justify getting a unit for it yeah its a year old but the biggest piece of ****ing ****e i have ever bin in...dont get me ****in started on it!! >:I aaaaahhhhhh im gonna go ****in mental again!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I reckon Creative have it sealed up with the Jukebox; same size as a portable CD player with 6Gb of storage = 100hrs of audio
    http://www.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?lang=1&prod=110&cate=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i remember reading about that creative player back in september.. is it actually out yet?

• Advertisement

http://www.pine-dmusic.com/specs.htm - SM200

This was the only one I ever considered. It was due in Feb, then April and is now in limbo.
    Plays normal CD's and PC/MP3 Cd's.
    Well, it will if it ever arrives....

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 02-08-2000).]

there are several of those mp3/cd discmen available already:

one of which is
    http://www.easybuy2000.com/store/products/mp3/mp3_discman.html is only $115

http://www.filmsoc.com

also for those with cars:
    http://www.empeg.com/
    damn cool.

Damn, was just on my way back here with this..
    http://www.chickshardware.com/html/reviews/mp3discman/cd.html

So much for being clever... smile.gif

Hmm...dont know about that DAP unit buy Creative 100 hours of music but 4-5 hours p/back from 4!! batteries :{
    Besides 1 other point on it how could you sift or select through approximatly 1500 songs!! But yeah cool idea but when is hitachi i think it was last year gonna release those bloody multilayered 1Gb ram CHIPS!!(12 pin)

Actually all this reminded me to go looking for the Terratec MP3PO. It's not portable, but a rather nice looking and very well reviewd Hi-fi separate.
    Of them all it has the best compatability (CDRs/CDRWs, multiession, ->320 Kbps, Variable bit rate, plays from M3u playlists, joliet/long filenames. And you can add a normal 3.5" IDE hard drive to it for more permanent storage of your favourites).
    Have a look at www.Terratec.co.uk

Dabs.Com have them for 3-4 day order.

It will be mine, oh yes...

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 02-08-2000).]

Ok , that link to a review i read of the sony music clip is somewhere on ign.com , just search for sony music clip , they say its "a great mp3 player with the only problem being it doesnt play mp3's"
    Basically you wont know if you're mp3 will work on it or not. I dont pretend to know why cos it doesnt seem to be well documented anywhere but the fact remains that every review i've read of it having planned to buy it said that it had big problems running mp3's. And as for the problem , they'll fix you're clip and send it back to you , put nicad batteries in there again and it'll fry again. Its a particular serial number yes , but its the latest serial number clip, or was last time i looked.

Personally i think the idea's great , digital music which lets be honest means free music on something thats tiny and will never acuse you any hassle to carry. I dont even mind the memory , cos i'd be only too happy to have 1 hours music a day everyday.
    If only it played mp3's , ALL mp3's , then it would truly rock , guess i'll just have to wait.

Cheers Bugs. 1 bit of info in the MP3 p/back is that it only plays back mp3 which have been ripped/recorded @ 4.1/16Khz/128bps
    Besides id normally be recording to mp3 from CD/MD and if i have an mp3 which wouldnt playback from it then it just rec it to MD and back and rip it to mp3.
    IGN?? is that International or Irish games net/
    If Irish then
    wonder how they got ahold of one if the reviewed it else
    end if

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Acchh. Sorely tempted to order mp3 discman yoke.
    Has anyone got one or even seen one working ?
    I know if I buy this my life will be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

check this one out lads an mp3 cdplayer from a major company. looks quite good too!!

http://www.expanium.philips.com/philips/expanium/home.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

How much would a cheap but good qualtiy minidisc cost?, and is there any diff in price bewteen a normal sized minidisc and the smaller versions?

Octavian, you dont need to record to MD and back to re-encode the MP3. For one you'll have lost a lot of quality since both MD's ATRAC and MP3 are lossy compression methods.
    Just choose Disk Writer as the Output from winamp and it'll do them straight to WAV in a few seconds, then you can re-encode.
    It does highlight one major problem though, compatibility. Every one I had a look at supported different types of bit rates. 128k is pretty flat, you want something that does a minumum of 256k VBR.
    That PINE cd player, if it ever appears is supposed to do 320 VBR.

Vincent. It depends what you want in your MD. Some just playback, you could pick up one for ~120. Some record aswell, ~180-300. Battery life/overall size also contributes a lot to cost. The smaller, the more expensive.... The disks will set you back ~1.50 depending on where you go, You can sometimes get them for 1.00.
    Have a look at http://www.Richersounds.ie to get an idea. They have a great deal at the moment where you can buy a Hi-Fi separate Minidisk player/recorder for ~130 (I think) and buy a playback MD walkman for an extra 20..... Damn good deal.

www.ign.com as in the huge owners of alot of sites , not crappy irish rubbish , hence .com!
    They do reviews on all the latest mp3 players and thankfully will tell you if they're crap or not, they don't mess about.

Ive found a site that ships to europe called pcsell.com i think ill get it again if any1 wants it. But the bloody shipping cost for that little music clip are $50!! total $350 which would be about 300 squid :0
    all in all a little expensive so ive email sony on the release date here, btw the other magic gate stick s7 player by sony is 399 squid :0 fs

looking done thru this topic ive noticed the number of posts under ppls handles hasnt incremented?? is it posts to different topics?? surely not a post is a post? a bug?

ok lookin down again i c said the blind gob****e at the other end of the copper wire

ok seriously I JUST WANNA BE A LEUTENANT! smile.gif

ok seriously I JUST WANNA BE A LEUTENANT! smile.gif

Just getting back to the topic here ye go and they ship to Ireland but i cant figure out what to put in the postal code???

At the top are links to new and old prices details pics the lot nice site!
    http://www.mp3shopping.com/english/sony.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement