Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scan.co.uk's crap customer care

• 20-12-2001 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

In the last few months I purchased a considerable quantity (IR£1400) of computer hardware from scan.co.uk.

http://www.scan.co.uk/

Among these items was the following:

61.5Gb IBM Deskstar 60GXP ATA-100 (7200rpm,2MB Cache, 8.5ms)

This drive was purchased as a favour for a friend and shortly after he installed it, the HDD ceased to work.

Now after quite some wait for confirmation from scan that I could indeed return the drive to them (I'm talking about over a month), they finally gave me a returns number.

I posted the drive back at my expense (minor amount), and they quickly tested it and sent me back a replacement drive. When this replacement drive arrived at my house. I was informed that it had arrived by my father and I phoned my friend (Who by now had been over 2 months without either a drive or his cash) who was delighted that it was finally resolved.

I later opened the packaging to find that I had infact recieved the 60 Gig drives smaller sister drive:

41.2Gb IBM Deskstar 60GXP ATA-100 (7200 rpm, 2MB Cache, 8.5ms)

Now I'm left wondering how on earth I can go spending more of my money sending back a perfectly good drive. I havn't even had a chance to e-mail/ring them yet and after my last wait ...

You know the story yourselves.

I'd just advise anyone else considering buying Hardware to Seriously Consider the customer care implications of buying from scan!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I know I will probably never consider buying from them and they'll certainly be leaving my list of recommended suppliers.

Update:

I got through to their Customer Care line today by ringing and trying every option a few times till someone answered.

At least my problem has been registered.

Hopefully it can be sorted out before the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

:eek:

Aaaaargh. You bought from Scan? You bought from Scan! Did I mention Aaaaargh!?

Scan are notoriously bad; I made the mistake of buying from them before they became famous for their ****eness. Apart from overcharging they have the worst customer services in the world. The only advice I can offer is you join the long line of people waiting to file lawsuits. And tell your friends to tell their friends to tell their families' friends' pets' vets' in-laws to stay as far away from Scan as its possible to do without falling into the sea.

For quite a while there, their phone system didn't seem to be working at all. it would let you select the options you wanted, only to return you to the original menu again when you were waiting to be redirected to a staff member.

Looks like it is working now, but it did take me over half an hour of attempts at peak rates to the UK (from a land line thankfully) to get through.

Apparrently they have registered my problem.

What really annoys me is that originally to get the drive returned I had to get a RMA number (maybe be familiar to fellow scan victims) buy repeatedly e-mailing one of their sales staff rather than using their online fault reporting system.

In total I registered three seperate complaints on their fault reporting system and recieved no communication arising from these.

/me crosses fingers for rapid replacement of drive.

By the time I return the working drive my postage costs will be about £10 Stg, to add to the drive costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

My friend went and ordered all the components to build a very nice machine. It was due on Tuesday 18th Dec.

Nothing arrived.

He Rang them.... There response on the phone

" Sorry Sir but i have no record of that transaction"

Well that was great, it seems his £1500 just upped and disappeared. He tells me now its been resolved and should have it on the 24th or at least before the new year.

• Advertisement

It's not surprising that other people have had problems.

A few mistakes and errors could be expected from any company, but to give such a poor quality of service to customers (once the money has been transacted) is not acceptable.

I'm lucky that they had to confirm the extra carriage for my delivery to Ireland, otherwise I would not have had a contact e-mail address other than their online forms. And the only way I got things sorted out was persistant e-mailing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i will never order from them again there terriable im trying to get parts repaired that i got from them 6 months ago

Every person I know who has ever ordered from scan has gotten at least one faulty item and has had trouble getting replacements etc. (And thats quite a few people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

get your sillysitters involved :)

soliciter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

They're complete and utter kunts so they are. I am waiting on a dvd drive cd burner hd and a tv card from them. A guy at work orders from them and every 2nd order is ****ed up. Hes spent about £4000 with them so far. I blame him too as he is too slow to bite their heads off.

A very angry email is not going to be taken seriously.

What are the alternatives to Scan though ? Any good suppliers within the same price range ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

dabs are usually in the same price range, out of about 10 orders I've only once had a problem which ain't too bad

Anywhere, anywhere except Scan. I've nearly always bought from Dabs.com and only once had a faulty product, which was replaced and all shipping costs paid for. Support was quick and I never had any reason to complain. Tho there are lots of other good companies.

Getting support from Scan on the other hand is as easy as trying to climb Mount Kilimanjaro blindfolded with your hands cuffed behind your back and your legs tied in a knot... while stuck inside a suitcase. And it's about as much fun as being dragged through hot coals and thorns while being forced to watch Maggy Thatcher do a striptease. Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

hmm , I frequently order parts from dabs and scan , I haven't had any bother atall with either , in fact I just got a mp3 player of scan (dap pro 64mb) for 17 quid lest than their normal price cause I ordered off their today only page. I would probably prefer dabs though as I get free next day delivery off them whereas I pay 10 quid for next day off scan :( . Course I live in northern ireland which probably explains why I haven't had any bother with either company ;)

Jelv

Corretion:

I do actually know one person who got an order from scan without any problems.

But you know the saying:

"its the exception that proves the rule!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i could have told you this.

they have a grand englsih sevice, but totaly crap irish one

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    i could have told you this.

they have a grand englsih sevice, but totaly crap irish one

*cough* *cough* *big ****-off cough*...
    grand english service me gluteus maximus :p

Well no contact from them yet.

Looks like it'll be well into the new year before I'll have this one sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

AAAARRRGH! I hate scan , will never ever buy from them again & hope no1 else will either!

A couple of years back I bought various peripherals totaling about
    £1,000 STG , only to find that they had replaced items on my order with different makes because they were short stocked!

FFS Like , they changed my order without telling me ????
    I then had to send the 2 offending items back to them at my extra cost after spendin hours on the phone trying to get the situation resolved.

Scan or Scam as I now call them are an absolute JOKE of a company who should no longer be allowed to retail online...

carbsy.

:mad:

Good,

The hate is strong in this one too!

Well I certainly wont buy from them again, and my advice to anyone else is to look elsewhere too. If anything goes wrong with your order (a re-ocurring theme with scan) you'll be left pretty much high and dry.

Theres plenty of other UK based online retailers who offer the same products at similar (or even better prices) and will offer some element of Customer Service if needs be. Pretty much anything would seem like an improvement.

Advertisement