Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demos?

Options
  • 21-12-2001 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Just a simple question:

Do demos run better or worse then full games? Cause some demos I d-load run terribly on my compyter yet when I get full game it runs fine. (examples being Half life, quake 3, original avp etc etc.) I need to know cause I have also had demos which ran perfectly and full games which quite simply dont. (outcast etc)

So wha the story with demos?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

I had a similiar problem a while ago.

Demos were grand to run but Retail-Version didn't run at all but
    In The End that just turned out to be a Cd-Rom Drive prob.
    Which i sorted out after much Stress.

But in your story its different.

hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Villiros

That maybe due to a fact that demos are often released before game release. And because of this they:
    1. might contain unoptimised code -- so they run slower then the final release (which usually have most of code optimised).
    2. might use less features then the final release -- so they run faster then the final game because additional features in it slow it down.
    So you never can tell for sure if the game will be faster or slower. I think it's probably best to remember particular application of Murphy's Law: it doesn't matter how stable and fast demo worked on you system; after you spend money on the game you'll find out that it's crashing every 5 mins and it never comes anywhere near 60 fps. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Villiros
    I think it's probably best to remember particular application of Murphy's Law: it doesn't matter how stable and fast demo worked on you system; after you spend money on the game you'll find out that it's crashing every 5 mins and it never comes anywhere near 60 fps. ;)

LOL, brilliant :)

Advertisement