Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux problem - Sound Card

• 03-08-2000 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

I've almost got my system just perfect, just have to get the sound card working and I'm sorted. the machine is a Dell Dimension and the card is a PCI Yamaha DS-XG. I'm running SuSE 6.4

I've tried OSS but can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone else here had any success with the same setup?

Or has anyone got their sound working on a different card that I could buy somewhere?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i found this on the website
    Right, that's just about it. I'd like to mention, though, that I got sound
    working a couple of days ago for the first time ever in linux (had various
    dists for over a year). I'd never actually tried before because it always
    sounded so complicated with everyone writing in with problems. After reading
    the docs it took me all of 5 mins to get it set up with OSS!! It only runs for
    three hours, but that's not a problem. I didn't even have to install anything
    extra (other than replacing the full license OSS off the CDs with the demo
    version off the CDs). BTW, I have a Yamaha DS-XG PCI and it sounds excellent.

not much help but at least u know it can be done.
    what errors do u get?
    what does the system tell you?

MiCr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Can you not just use the sound card configuration tool in yast2? (or is it yast).
    Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

MiCr0 what site did that come from? Maybe I should try the dmeo version of OSS instead. It worked like a dream on my other PC.

quozl, yeah I tried yast2 but it just didn't work, no card detected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

emm...

I remember when I had RH6.1 installed on my old pc I used a program called sndetect and it recognised the card straight off (ensoniq audio pci)

Pity I didnt have the same success with my modem smile.gif

Advertisement