Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual soundcards....is it possible

• 22-12-2001 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

CAn I setup the onboard sound to play back things like "youve got mail!"

and leave the games etc. sound to the soundblaster card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, if your soundblaster card is anyway recent, it should be able to handle both. At once. Direct Sound in windows should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Hmm. My card refuses to play music and game sound at the same time, having said that the PC's over 2 years old. NM my next one's got Soundblaster Audigy (plus GF3, Athlon blah blah) and its coming on 7th Jan :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Thats what i get for not explaining what i want to do.

okay, 5.1 soundblaster card does the work for games etc.

but i want my onboard sound to do stuff like email recv'd messages etc.

I will have the two different cards hooked up to two different speaker systems. one will be purely for games the other can be cranked up 100% of the time so i can hear when email comes in, even if im downstairs. (chorus powernet always on, email checking every 15 minutes)

so, yes, my card could do both, but i want to set it up this way for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by yankinlk

I will have the two different cards hooked up to two different speaker systems. one will be purely for games the other can be cranked up 100% of the time so i can hear when email comes in, even if im downstairs. (chorus powernet always on, email checking every 15 minutes)

chorus powernet always on, email checking every 15 minutes.. Spilling coffee on now deaf, shocked self when mail hits in the middle of a game...

It'll work of course once you get any IRQ issues sorted but Imho it's a complete and pointless waste of resources (Both for the cpu cycles/IRQs and the extra speakers). Why not just set the volume in your games to lower than the rest. Use the SBlive to do them all.

Advertisement