Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on Holiday to Thailand?

Options
  • 22-12-2001 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Then don't cash in those 10 baht coins (worth roughly 20p) when you are leaving. A programme on Dutch TV last night showed how some Euro-enabled vending machines will recognise them as a 2 Euro coin!

The programme also showed that some of the coins from the different Euro countries are of slightly different size and thickness. I hope this won't pose any problems to vending machines, I mean, what's the point of a single currency if the coins are different?!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

"The 10 baht coin is also a bi-colour coin similar in diameter and size but the technical specifications and the material are different," an ECB spokesman said in response to a Reuters enquiry.

"The euro has distinctive magnetic properties and its electric conductivity is different, so it has properties that are unique and modern vending machines should have no problems with distinguishing between the two coins," the ECB spokesman said.

He declined to comment on a separate report on a study that one and two euro coins contained so much nickel that people allergic to the metal could develop skin problems because of the contact with the coins.

Aww well so much for that idea :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

I love your nick Lennoxs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Probably didn't know about the nickel, I saw on EuroNews that despite the high nickel content it's alloyed in such a way that it shouldn't affect those with allergies.

Advertisement