Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the end of napster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 -=Oxbow=-

Aww now thats just plain stoopid, I dont believe they shut it down!?! I suppose they expect us to go back to using flimsy, unreliable FTP sites again...Im tellin ya, That there is just Wrong !! frown.gif

/me sheds a tear...

Load Up On Guns, Bring Your Friends Its Fun To Loose And To Pretend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif its just not on .
    how long till the server will get moved to a russian site ????
    or somewhere that wont give a fu<k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

now only if there was a online site that gave out between 300 and 1 gig of free space on the net for mp3's etc . hmmmmmm

world of wonder reely

if you want to complain hears someone who would love to hear from you .

senator_hatch@hatch.senate.gov
    * 131 Russell Senate Office Building
    * Washington, DC 20510
    * and Senator Leahy at
    * senator_leahy@leahy.senate.gov
    * 433 Russell Senate Office Building
    * Washington, DC 20510

stamp to us is 30px2

[This message has been edited by elexes (edited 27-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

What's this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

two points:

they can't take back the software thats out there (client and server).

there are other napster servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Stable door - Bolted
    Horse - Galloping over the horizon

Don't cry children. Try Gnutella, try cutemx, try freenet (invented by an irishman). The RIAA are too late. The latest sharing progs. are pure client to client, no servers involved, no centralised D/b. Freenet won't even expose your IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Its just not right
    Damn the RIAA frown.gif

I warned you! But did you listen to me? Oh no, you knew it all, didn't you? Oh, its just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What I find funny is I posted this news story yesterday on the Music board and no one replied to it, now I see it on the after hours and tech board. smile.gif

As someone has pointed out there are loads of alternatives. Banning Napster is going to have sweat f'all effect in the long run.

scour.net does it too btw.

Lastly it's funny how Napster will let you transfer (c) material but tell people to sod off when someone tries to copy thier format for transmitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's a pirate site and was bound to be shut down eventually - but like every other pirate site there'll be another one along just like it in five minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

sniff frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Napster only have themselves to blame at the end of the day, File transfers are what the Internet is all about but the fact that Napster specificaly aimed at copywrite music and wouldn't allow any other type of file transfers didn't help their cause, it was only when they started getting into trouble that they started leaning toward a more legitamate use of the software by promoting new artists etc, but that was a lame attempt to get away with what they were doing.

BTW Hobbes: I mailed you there yesterday at the address you have set in your profile here, dunno if you got it.

Blade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

What is the website for that freenet

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

how does a client to client software thing communicate over IP without giving out the IP address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yes. lets have pedos storing their sick **** on our computers without us even knowing its there.
    hell i'm on for that.
    **** censorship man.
    free the pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

As others have said, Ian Clarke (finished his studies at Edinburgh and still had his Irish accents) does Freenet [1].

He writes a little about it with this anecdote:

"I was in the pub last night, and a guy asked me for a light for his cigarette. I suddenly realised that there was a demand here and money to be made, and so I agreed to light his cigarette for 10 pence, but I didn't actually give him a light, I sold him a license to burn his cigarette. My fire-license restricted him from giving the light to anybody else, after all, that fire was my property. He was drunk, and dismissing me as a loony, but accepted my fire (and by implication the licence which governed its use) anyway. Of course in a matter of minutes I noticed a friend of his asking him for a light and to my outrage he gave his cigarette to his friend and pirated my fire! I was furious, I started to make my way over to that side of the bar but to my added horror his friend then started to light other people's cigarettes left, right, and centre! Before long that whole side of the bar was enjoying MY fire without paying me anything. Enraged I went from person to person grabbing their cigarettes from their hands, throwing them to the ground, and stamping on them.

"Strangely the door staff exhibited no respect for my property rights as they threw me out the door."

If you lads want to make a wave crash around the EU right about the time Napster loses its 'nads, have a read about Freenet and then decide whether you want to convert some Irish IP space into Freenet nodes. They anonymise nicely and spoof MI6. We could do it for the fight against censorship.

/bernie goldbach http://www.topgold.com/training/webcourse/handouts/copyright/napster_1.html

[This message has been edited by topgold (edited 06-08-2000).]

Advertisement