Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lookin to buy a guitar

Options
  • 22-12-2001 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Erm hi. I'm looking at buying a guitar since the last one I owned broke 3 years ago and it was bought for me in the first place and didn't really make the kinda sound I wanted. Basically I'm looking for a rhythm guitar and I'm on a small budget. Sound quality isn't my top priority since I'm not playing to stadiums or anything, but it needs to look OK. What's my best bet and where should I go to get it cheapest?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

There's a guitar shop in Bray and in blackrock near Dundalk which do very good prices.

If you buy a cheapish guitar, just dont expect it to last for ever. Best advice is to go to a few shops around town and check them out, see what you like and ask loads of questions! Musician is good for that.

My best advice is to buy a guitar you like that is good for the money (there's always the second hand option) but if you want to sound better, playing in a band etc, most important thing after buying an actual guitar is buying a very good amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Friend of mine got this lovely second hand gibson SG in music maker for about 120 quid, or so...

If you can find the right guitar second-hand, it's well worth it.
    Just shop around.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Fender Strat Squire would be a good bet and they are nowhere near as expensive as the real Strat.
    I could be way behind the times here, but try The Rockshop for second-hand (if they are still in business), they are off Capel street somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Friend of mine got this lovely second hand gibson SG in music maker for about 120 quid, or so...

A real Gibson SG or was it an Epiphone?

If it was a real one it just reinforces my beleif that the staff in music maker are muppets and I wish I had of seen it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

<offtopic>
    Tom, I thought u'd vanished off the face of the planet

drop onto irc when ur on,

IF UR MAN ENUFF !!!
    </offtopic>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by The FANJ

A real Gibson SG or was it an Epiphone?

If it was a real one it just reinforces my beleif that the staff in music maker are muppets and I wish I had of seen it first.

Ah, maybe it was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Nev

Ive got a Blue , Ibanez RG 702 tis in great nic bout 1 1/2 ols ill sell it to u wit a 10 watt squire amp and lead and boss distortion pedal + soft high quality case for 250 ?

Give me a email if ur intrested i live in dublin dsherwin@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I was thinking of buying an electric guitar and have a price range of about 200-300, i'll also be needing an amp, can anyone here suggest where i can get a decent enough guitar for around this price in Cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The shops in Cork are dear and have a poor selection. Try www.thomann.de

They operate from Germany and have a huge selection but they have great deals.

Studio heads might want to check out the ALL VALVE 8-CHANNELL (!) Compressor/Pre-amp with phantom power for £130 on special offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

The best prices that I found in cork, (or anywhere in Ireland) is actually at a shop in west cork. The guy that owns it gets his guitars through some contacts including Fender Europe, which means better prices than other shope (especially for fenders).

A friend got a Pacifica (stratocaster copy) for about £150 and a little praccy amp there. If you want I can get you a number for them and you can ring and ask about prices.
    They will also order in a guitar for you if you want (which is what I did for no extra cost).

Also a decent cheap guitar is a Hohner rockwood. Best value cheap guitar Ive seen in a while (the RP250 pro, les paul copy).
    Pacifica is worth a look, and squiers, although I dont like them, ARE one of the better selling cheap guitars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yeah, I'm selling a Strat over on the For Sale board. Take a look and if your interested mail me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

I bought a strat friday... ok, its mexican and second hand... but I own a Fender! I'm brilliant. Ahem, scuse, got a little carried away there.

So, anyone wanna buy my wonderful second-hand red Samick? Say 80 euro ono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

If your just looking for a guitar with looks, durability and cheap, You'd want a Les Paul Replica

Advertisement