Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gprs and ip

• 01-08-2000 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

does any 1 know what version of ip will be supported by default in gprs?

its something i should know but can't find it anywhere?

tia

MiCr0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well that depends on your APR, and how it may be integrated into your Action Items in such a way as to add value to the project. Then I think a post-mortem Plus-Delta approach might expedite the whole process. For process efficiency is the key!
    Just fill in an IPR.

Sorry, so many acronyms in such a small sentence brought flashbacks of meetings with americans.....Deep slow breaths.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

creed wtf does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

That there are downsides to being stuck in the **** end of Africa with 1000 americans....

where are u atm creed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

He's in angola werking like a ******.

john

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

Originally posted by MiCr0:
    does any 1 know what version of ip will be supported by default in gprs?

Well, firstly there's the gsm associations usual waffle on the matter: http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs.html

Mentions IP and X.25 in there, depending on the GPRS Gateway Node or something and what it talks to.
    http://www.gsmdata.com/paprysavy.htm gives a bit more info. Again just specifies IP vs. IP v.4 or v.6. AFAICS it depends on the capabilities of the Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN), installed by the network provider. I'd say ip v.4 initially with easy ish upgrade paths for vendors, but that's just a guess smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

http://www.nokia.com/networks/17/gprs/architecture.html seems decentish as well

Still, GPRS is so passe, barely rises above HSCSD speeds, what I'm holding out for is EDGE ...

after 3 weeks reading installation plans and asking the implementaters the question the answer doesn't seem any nearer

thanx anyway

MiCr0

Still, GPRS is so passe, barely rises above HSCSD speeds, what I'm holding out for is EDGE ...

according to our internal stuff gprs is just the steping stone onto gprs, you can't have one without the other....

there are v.few working gprs networks up yet, but the phones are compatable with gsm so they'll work anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I've seen Digifone techies using IP settings dynamically assigned by network servers as they dialed in and got 40k wireless speeds. They were running with Easydata, which is an IP solution. HSCSD is not an IP solution and wouldn't be considered on the evolutionary path of mobile telecommunications. HSCSD is brute force cell-snatching. Its heavy-handedness upsets IP purists who want to ensure the network respects equal rights of efficient access.

On another note, Motorola have GPRS handsets floating among Dublin's beta testers. I'm going to stop the next person I see using one to see if they're actually in the GPRS mode.

/bernie goldbach
    http://www.topgold.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000016.html

Advertisement