Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lord of the rings

Options
  • 23-12-2001 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

go and see lord of the ring its a damn good movie, damn damn good infact i go so far as saing ****ing fantastic... k im done

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭The Evil Monkey

do u have to read any of the books before seeing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 izzy

naw not really it gives a summery of the hobbit at the beggining and its pretty easy to follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've seen it... Twice...

And I'm going again next week...

I've honestly never seen a film that transcends it's own hype.
    It will blow all of your expectations away...

Fantastic cast aswell... Just about perfect.

I can't wait for the next two in the series... Because it really WILL be the best film/films/trilogy of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 roundgirl

Yep, have to agree it was extremely well cast. and if anyone has read the book, the Shire is probably exactly like you'd envisaged it. If you haven't gone to see it, bear in mind that it is the first of a trilogy and as such the ending is not wholly satisfying on it's own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

God it's fantastic! those orks were damn scary!!! Scared the bejeebus out of me cant wait to see it again!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

They did a fair hatchet job on the book though, didn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nim psychotic

Well rarely do I leave the cinema thinking "money well spent" but this film was definitely worth the £5. It's good. Very good.:)

was it just me or was there times when you had to say "how the hell did this get a PG rating?" but still a great ****ing movie

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

It is a fantastic film, although you've got to take it as being basically a medieval action-adventure and not a perfect adaptation of the novel (which, I reckon, would be unfilmable anyway). They've done a handful of odd things to parts of the book to try and 'liven it up' for the screen (like making Arwen much more prominent) and there are some hideously melodramatic moments (the bit where Galadriel contemplates taking the ring from Frodo in the garden and she goes all dark with this bizarre effect on her voice made me want to laugh out loud...) but in general it's a very good job. The casting is spot on and the effects are convincing enough. Even though it's 3 hours long it still felt very densely packed... certain portions of the novel could have done with a lot more space to breathe, especially in Rivendell and Lothlorien - but then again that would have made it ridiculously long. I've got to agree that PG is totally inappropriate, too much blood and guts and too long for young kids. But overall it is brilliant... it's annoying that we've got so long to wait for the next part.

True... A few bits were cut. But nothing that major!

Keep in mind, that it's over 3 hours long! So they did a damn good job at keeping it pretty much "All There"...

The Galadriel bit was a little over-done, maybe... But she is one of the most powerful elves there is, and one of the elven ring-bearers.

How it got a PG rating is utterly beyond me also...

Did anyone else jump when Bilbo tried to grab the ring from Frodo? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Circe

I've seen it twice and I have to say that, in the circumstances (ie..it's a very long, complex book), Peter Jackson couldn't have done much better.

Yes, there are a few silly bits (Sauron's not very scary in the prologue, is he?) and some cuts have been made, but all in all it's a damn good version.

The casting is absolutely spot-on - Elijah Wood is perfect as Frodo, ditto Ian McKellan as Gandalf. The fight scenes are excellent, the orcs are scary, the Ringwraiths are perfect and the scenery and sets are just amazing.

Go see! And just hope you can hold your soul in patience for The Two Towers...

i have to go see it again.... and seeing it makes me wanna read the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

I didn't like it. I found it boring and slow-moving. Some of the battle scenes were amazing and the orks were mightily impressive. The cinematography and scenery was amazing.

Still it was a tad childish for me though and some of the actors were very wooden.

I wouldn't go and see it again, would not read the books after seeing the film and might not go to see parts 2 and 3. I'd really only go for closure though, to see what happens in the end.

I was hoping it would have been darker.

I was less than satisfied with it but then theres always one.

:)

:confused:

Tsk tsk...

Well... There's bound to be someone who doesn't like a film.
    But... CHILDISH!? Boring and slow moving??? Wooden actors!???

I really can't beleive I'm reading this...

Or maybe you just don't like fantasy?

But who anyone could have said that some of the actors were "Wooden" is utterly bryond me. I thought it was one of the most well-acting films in recent memory, and quite possibly ever.
    And such a brilliant cast involved, I don't understand how anyone could call any one of them wooden... :confused:

Boring and slow moving I can't see either! Personaly, I didn't even notice the 3 hours + fly by. But then again, I was extremely engrossed. And if Fantasy isn't your bag, then maybe you wouldn't find it that interesting.

And... CHILDISH!?
    I don't know... I just don't know... :confused::confused::confused:

i agree!
    i know theres always bond to be someone who doesnt like a really great movie like this it's only natural but i just don't understand how it could be called childish ok so it got a PG rating but i still dont know HOW!!! perhaps the begining was a tad slow but only a tad after bilbo

i agree!
    i know theres always bond to be someone who doesnt like a really great movie like this it's only natural but i just don't understand how it could be called childish ok so it got a PG rating but i still dont know HOW!!! perhaps the begining was a tad slow but only a tad after bilbo left and frodos adventur starts it really moves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"I've seen it... Twice...

And I'm going again next week..." - jaysus why not do something worthwhile instead.

And I think it got the PG rating the same way titanic did (despite tits) by being a BIG money film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

Lord of the rings blew me far away. Some parts were a bit slow ( Parts with Cate Blanchett) but when it got going it got going.
    Fight scenes were fantastic. Iwas pessimistic when I heard Peter Braindead Jackson was doing it but he did a great job.

I was esspecially suprised by Sean Bean who did an amazing job.
    The the narative at the start was a bit naff though, ican see where marcus is comin from when he says it was childish. The narrative was really bad.

But the parts with Gandalf and Sauram ( cant spell it) were incredibly dark and mysterious. The mines added to this darkness aswell. George Lucas thinks he should have got it. What a tit. Imagine.

Frodo (played by Jake Loyd) : I wish none of this had of happened. Are you an angel Gandalf?

Gandalf: You are young but the force is strong in you now hop on your podracer and away to Mordor with ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

This is one cool mother (f)-uckin' flick!!!!
    See it, it will make you (s)hit you pants with joy!!

ONE LOVE:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I went to see the film 4 times already. Its amazing, really great effects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement