Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion Poll on Americans and everyone else

• 23-12-2001 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Before you click the link answer the questions below. Don't have to answer any if you don't want to. I gleaned the questions directly from the report so they probably aren't worded the same either.

1. Are you American, European, Middle Eastern or Asian?

2. Do you consider U.S. policies to be "a major cause" of the Sept. 11 attacks?

3. Do you believe that the attack on Afganistan was an overreaction?

4. Do you believe that the US should combat terrorism?

5. Should the US and it's allies attack countries like Iraw and Somalia if they are found to have supported terrorism?

6. Do you believe that the US is taking into accoount it's partners intrests in the fight against terrorism or are they acting mainly on it's own interests?

7. Is Bush justified on launching a global war on terrorism?

8. Do you like or dislike the US?

9. Do you believe the people hate the US because of it's overarching power?

10. Do you believe the people hate the US because of it's support for Israel?

11. Do you think the US is responsible for the gap between the worlds rich and poor?

12. Do you think the US does too little to help the least-advantaged?

13. Why do people (or you) like the United States?

14. Do you believe Bush is making decisions based soley on US interests?

15. Do you believe the recent conflict will help improve longer term US relations with Russia and China? (both of which offered some support for the anti-terror war).

Ok now check what others said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,663 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well theyre right about the gap between the rich and the poor. As long as left idealogy including protectionism guides third world states, then they will remain poor, and keep getting relatively poorer because the US and other capitalist states will keep getting richer.

As for not doing enough? Hmm how much is enough, and why should the US in particular have to subsidise failed systems of government? I dont see the EU launching a drive to give everything to Rwanda.

One thing that is very interesting is the American/Non-American divide in the responses. Is it a case of the Americans letting patriotism cloud their reason, or non-americans being influenced by anti-american bias (Including the unchallenged tirades against the US in the media of the Arab world)?

My bet would be the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1 European
    2 No, but some would like us to think so
    3 No, the Talleban would'nt play ball
    4 Yes, all states should combat terrorism
    5 No, unless no option
    6 Mainly its own intererests
    7 Yes, but it needs defintion
    8 Like and dislike (sorry!)
    9 Yes, some do
    10 Most Arabs and Islamics do
    11 In part along with the rest of the West and incompetent
    Third World governments.
    12 Yes, eg cancel debt of third world nations.
    13 Its openess and optimism are its best points
    14 Mainly on US interests
    15 Yes

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

1. European

2. No

3. Yes. better idea to send in small strike team to infiltrate bin ladens hq, find him, kill him, get out.

4. Yes

5. No, thats just settling old scores, Bush is war hungry, you wouldnt see Bill doing that

6. Own interests

7. No, only started when hit his own back yard,,,,

8. Dislike the politics

9. Those with no power hate those with power

10. With Mike65 said

11. Those with no responsibility are the poor themselves

12. Yes

13. Always something new out there

14. Of course

15. Yes, but superficial at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

1. European

2. Yes, you can't prop up 2 bit dictators and not expect any payback.

3. Yes & No

4. Yes they should but within in Internation organisation like the UN according to Internation law and not to further their economic ambitions.

5. No. Considering the CIA have been training murderers like Osama Bin Laden for years and the US authorities allowed fund-raising by NORAID for the IRA then they have also been supporting terrorism as well. People in Glasshouse and all !!

6. They are acting according to their own wishes and interests.

7. Yes of course but only working under a UN Mandate (But as they ignore some resolutions because they clash with their interests, I doubt they would take that route)

8. I like American people but I really dislike the US Government and its policies towards the rest of the world.

9. I believe the US fosters hate because of the misuse of the power that it has.

10. Yes.

11. As per Mike65's answer.

12. From their track record Yes.

13. Percieved freedom to follow your dreams, the chance to make your fortune.

14. Yes definately

15. In the short term Yes, but in the longer term No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. European

2. Yes to some extent.

3. Yes. Afganistan was attacked not because they didn't have anything to do with the attacks but because they wouldn't hand someone over without evidence.

4. Yes.

5. No.

6. Mostly it's own interests.

7. Yes

8. I like it.

9. No

10. Some.

11. Certainly a factor in some cases. US companies certainly exploit cheap labour in other countries (eg. $10k a year is considered a good wage in India for a developer. Cheaper then hiring a US person for 80K+)

12. Yes

13. I would of said the Tech is probably the best thing about the US. Don't know about freedoms that Gandalf said as your more free to do what you want in Europe then you have in the US.

14. Yes.

15. Won't improve relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I said percieved freedom Hobbes :P

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Percieved

To become aware of directly through any of the senses, especially sight or hearing.

To achieve understanding of; apprehend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by gandalf
    I said percieved freedom Hobbes :P

Gandalf.

That's still not a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by Sand
    Well theyre right about the gap between the rich and the poor. As long as left idealogy including protectionism guides third world states, then they will remain poor, and keep getting relatively poorer because the US and other capitalist states will keep getting richer.

Just a point.
    The gap between the rich and the poor existed before America did. For example

Colinisation (eg.. the Americas, Ireland) was an example of how the rich nations took from the poor!
    The practice of slavery.
    Class based society.

They were all well established before the US.

Yet when the states was formed they gave each man equality, (while here in Ireland the gentry ruled.)

They moved quickly to abolish slavery.

They could do more, but they have done more than most!

As for the questions

1. Yes European

2. No, I belive the Killers needed litle excuse.

3. No, I dont belive any other option would have led to the possible apprehension of those who planned the attacks. Now they are on the run (or dead), their assets frozen, and have lost a major supporter of terrorism, the world is a slightly safer place.

4.Yes, they should combat all forms of terrorism. Neutrality is not an option, because terrorists dont respect neutrality as the irish victims of sept 11 found out.

5. The key is if they are found to have supported terrorism. If they have funded and abbeted hijackers and bombers, and there is evidence of this, then attacks are justified, as are other punitive measures.

6. I believe they are acting to satisfy a domestic need to be seen to do something, but i belive this benifits the world as a whole.

7. Yes

8. I see many weaknesses of america, but on balance I would be a friend of america.

9. Yes. Its funny how america was critisied for not getting involved enought in world affairs, eg. too slow to send troops to the balkans, yet their critisied if they do.
    Its a case of damed if you do, and damed if you dont.

10. It is a cause of antagonism for the enemies of Israel, yes. (And Israel knows how to make enemies.)

11. No, see my first point.

12. I dont think anyone (as a nation) does enough. This includes America.

13. Because they are an open society, who will welcome any creed or color, and say 'here you have a chance, if you are willing to work.'
    (Not taking into consideration the kneejerk reaction that is inevitable after Sept 11. To find out you have supported and trained the very people who attacked you from within is bound to be disturbing.).

14. No. i belive it is probably a huge factior, but not solely on America interests. would point out the huge diplomatic effort to build and shore supoport for actions before action was taken. This involved listening aswell as talking.

15. Yes. They have found more common ground. Especally the Russians and the Americans. The russian people, having suffered greatly from Chechian terror recently, are greatly sympatetic to the US.
    (The US were not so understanding of the russian stance before this incident.)

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

1. If not Irish, European.

2. You bet, primary cause, plain and simple

3. Yes, I also believe the attack will prove to be counter-productive to the (alleged) objectives of the attack in the long run.

4. I believe the US should combat the causes of terrorism, not the terrorist, combating terrorists, will just incite more "terrorism".

5. Absolutely not, the US should lift sanctions on Iraq right now. Take out Saddam if it makes the US feel like big Gorillas, but end the sanctions now.

6. Yeah right Hobbes, pull the other one. The US could care less about it's partners. Come on the US coined the phrase "might is right", so when you are the "only superpower" what do you need allies for and why bother consulting them?

7. Bush's father Bush senior was director of the CIA for 15 years. So the Bush family has caused and incited more terrorism in the name of "freedom and democracy" than all of al-Qeada and Hamas put together. Bush himself has put more people to death in the USA then any other governor, so in light of these facts, are these the kind of "moral", "fortitudous" people who have remit to start great wars of attrition on "terrorism"? NO.

8. I neither like nor dislike the US. I disagree vehemently with lots of US policies.

9. I believe people hate the US because the powers that be or the "hawks" in the US believe that they may go about the world abrogating the rights of people and countries, the sovernigty of other governments and people, asassinate in the name of freedom, rig elections, go to war over oil, but this is not a particularly US course of action. If the Irish found 10 trillion dollars in the bank account tomorrow, the Irish would do much the same thing, it's human nature. The fact that the US is the current big boy on the block will only make the US the preeminent force to hate until someone bigger comes along, so it is a little fecious to hate the US for acting as humans the world over do, yes point out the flaws, but realise that in a different set of circumstances, every human is capable of transgressing the line of "morality".

10. You better believe it.

11. No, but the US could do alot more to lessen that gap.

12. Yes, the US for example has enough power and influence to write off third world debt.

13. The US is a country. I don't hate or like a country. A country simply is, yes there is an idealised view of the US that people are enamoured with, no I don't swallow it.

14. Give me a break, Bush is making decisions based on the amount of money that his pockets and the pockets of his supporters are getting greased with. Here's a thought, big oil and Kyoto. You think that the fringe scientists that are backing Bush on global warming are right? The same scientists that don't think global warming is a reality and the same "scientists" who don't accept the connection between lung cancer and smoking? Nope, interest groups and money are making the decisions, just like everywhere else.

15. I think that both Russia and China would not allow themselves to be "seen" to be in such a publicly antagonistic position with the US, fact is Bush has used the attacks on the US as an excuse to build his star-wars defence shield and that has to make the Russians and Chinese very nervous indeed. If the shield works suddenly the US can attack both countries without fear of any real retaliation, wouldn't that scare you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

1. European.

2. Yes, but in fairness not the only one. Their position as the last remaining superpower has made them an easy target too.

3. Remains to be seen. It ultimately solves little (and nothing for the Afghans), but it hasn't dragged on so far and it got the "if you attack the US this is what happens..." message across - which, not 'the fight against terrorism', it was all about, in the end.

4. Of course, as should we all. Whether it should define what is terrorism as opposed to 'freedom fighting' is another matter.

5. Ibid.

6. Yes, but as a secondary consideration to it's own.

7. Who are we to argue? He has bigger guns and more money. Morality has little place in Real Politik.

8. Both.

9. It would be a cause of resentment, imho.

10. Ibid.

11. It's not helping it, but it would be unfair to blame them for it all. Europe seeded this inequality in many cases and poor nations are not entirely blameless for their situation either too.

12. Don't know. Couldn't say.

13. A combination of it's seemingly meritocratic and the 'can do' attitude of its society. Plus, it's powerful, and we all want to back the winning horse.

14. Largely, if not completely. The 'war on terrorism' only became so when mainland America became a target. The US had little interest in terrorism prior to that. But if the Falklands War's effect on Margaret Thatcher’s popularity is anything to go by, it serves his own interests too.

15. Yes, as their support will require that the US turns a blind eye towards many of their domestic and foreign policies. US interference in these has been the main cause for friction in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

1. European

2. No, one cause perhaps, but certainly not the major cause.

3. Yes and no. Al Qa'aeda needed to be stopped but the bombing was taken too far.

4. Whose definition of terrorism?

5. Whose definition of terrorism?

6. The US acts on its own interests. But so do all countries. It takes into account its partners interests if it has interests in its partners. However if it sees something which the majority of its public knows is wrong it will intervene, after all it is a real country with real people who have real consciences.

7. No, he is justified on launching a war against the group/s responsible for September 11th. Any further and he will have to start drawing lines, example do we say only terrorists in arab countries are really terrorists, do we say only terrorists in non-English-speaking countries are terrorists. Who knows, he might issue ultimatums to Middle Eastern terrorists with the threat of military intervention, but do the same to the IRA? Methinks not.

8. I like America and the American people the same as any other country, which is to say it has its good and bad points. How you are received depends on where in the country you go, who you talk to and how you talk to them. Dislike of America is generally caused by its size and power. Put almost any other country in the position of Number 1 Superpower and the result won't be much better.

9. Which people? But short answer yes, as I said in the last question its size and power causes any problems to be magnified, plus of course its traditional to hate those better than you if you can't compete with them.

10. Some people do and some don't, depending on what Israel is up to. It's not simply that the US supports Israel, its that the US supports Israel whatever Israel does.

11. No. However as the superpower it is, it could lead the way in helping to allievate those problems. If America does it we will follow.

12. In its own country or abroad? If you mean abroad I would say it could do better, having said that it has its own problems.

13. Erm dumb question. Nice weather nice people in general... what more can you say... Politically people like it because it's probably about as morally right as you can get while still being the superpower it is.

14. Very largely.

15. As long as China and Russia continue to offer vocal support for the US and the US continues to let China and Russia get away with certain things then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

1. Are you American, European, Middle Eastern or Asian?
    2. Do you consider U.S. policies to be "a major cause" of the Sept. 11 attacks?
    3. Do you believe that the attack on Afganistan was an overreaction?
    4. Do you believe that the US should combat terrorism?
    5. Should the US and it's allies attack countries like Iraw and Somalia if they are found to have supported terrorism?
    6. Do you believe that the US is taking into accoount it's partners intrests in the fight against terrorism or are they acting mainly on it's own interests?
    7. Is Bush justified on launching a global war on terrorism?
    8. Do you like or dislike the US?
    9. Do you believe the people hate the US because of it's overarching power?
    10. Do you believe the people hate the US because of it's support for Israel?
    11. Do you think the US is responsible for the gap between the worlds rich and poor?
    12. Do you think the US does too little to help the least-advantaged?
    13. Why do people (or you) like the United States?
    14. Do you believe Bush is making decisions based soley on US interests?
    15. Do you believe the recent conflict will help improve longer term US relations with Russia and China? (both of which offered some support for the anti-terror war).

1. Euro
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. No
    6. Yes
    7. No
    8. Stupid Question
    9. Yes
    10. Yes
    11. They may not have created it - but they are expanding it.
    12. Yes
    13. It affords its citizens freedom of thought.
    14. Of Course.
    15. Yes

Advertisement