Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows ME

• 04-08-2000 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Right I install windows ME the other day. well chuffed with it bar one or two things.
    1) no dos prompt this is not nice..
    2) I wont recongise my crap telepath win modem it thinks its a Lucent modem and when I try dial up with this it connects but I cann't do anything after that. When I install my win98 drivers for the modem it doesn't even dial up frown.gif . I rang gateway and they didn't even know it was out yet and spend most of the half hour conversation answering questions about why I put it on was it any better, what did it look like etc. and then in the end I couldn't even get drivers out of them or the site of the crowd that make the modem.

So does anyone have any advice.

kayos

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Format and reinstall 98? ME isn't supposed to be out for another few weeks, so I'd say you'll have a hard time grabbing drivers untill then.

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

hmmm I'm not going formating my drive I'd lose to much work. why won't they support it since it got sent to man and oems back in june. Time to borrow a modem I think.

KaYoS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

If theres Win98/95 drivers available for the modem they should work fine cause WinME is still based on the Win9x kernal and thats what the drivers are designed to run on. i'm running WinME and I use 98 drivers for my GeForce, SBLive & ISDN TA. Maybe you just made a balls of the driver installation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

cool, where'd you get windows me from kayos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

Hey Kayos...Why did u put in on? is it any better?
    seriously! whats it lok like i havent heard of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

back on a more supportive note!

1. Try selecting the change driver option in modem properties in device manager.

2. Try setting it up as a standard modem.

3. As u said urself try a diff modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

on a less supportive note, just use win2k. Far better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

On a totally unrealted note, aren't donkeys cool ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

/me loves bubbles and donkeys....

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Gerry:
    on a less supportive note, just use win2k. Far better

Tried it... liked it... VERY much- went back to 98 though so my games would work.

Have WinME on my desk now (came in an MSDN pack) - I'll give it a shot- shur why not, eh?

Bard

|home page|scary éire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

arrgghhh ME raises it's ugly head again. It wouldn't support my winmodem either mad.gif That and it automatically installs media player 7.0 which dosn't even have a Save As.. option eek.gif It's reported to be a stable OS and give good performace but the interface is so crap!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Dunno what this is about it not having a dos prompt- I upgraded from 98-SE and it preserved *everything* including the command prompt, which reports a DOS version of Windows Millennium [Version 4.90.3000].

All this quick and painless upgrade seems to have really done is given me some of the nice enhancements from Win2K while still preserving the non-NT kernel and running my games perfectly. - That and it seems to be quite stable.

Media Player 7 is, of course, bloody awful.

Bard

|home page|scary éire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You, do know that win modems suck hairy donkey bóllox Yes ??

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by kayos:
    1) no dos prompt this is not nice..
    Ugn, why in Gods name would M$ do such a thing?
    Removing the command prompt is just not on, it's very usefull for tech support to have access to the fuppin' command prompt even if the end user hasn't a bog what to do with it.
    Does anyone know their reasoning for removing it?

What's this now?™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

you mean it removes command.com?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I heard that it wasn't removed - just made very hard to find. Rumors of some muppet who made a **** up of his puter with it then tried to sue rolleyes.gif

Just to clear up 1 or 2 things. MS haven't removed the command prompt! What they have done however is removed the option from the boot menu(F8 just before you see the ME logo) to boot to a command prompt which is completey differernt from the command prompt option in start/programs/accessories/dos prompt or wherever it is located. I don't have any idea why MS would do this but I know that its gona make it difficult for bios upgrades and other things that need to be performed outside the windows inviroment. They also did something else very strange. You are no longer able to make a floopy bootable. The format a:/s doesn't work any more and typing sys a: tells you that the sys command can only be used to transfer system files to c:
    Good old MS frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

They are getting rid of DOS over a period of time so that eventually everyone will have completely non-legacy equipment as far as I've heard.

And also I think that if DOS is present on a completely non-legacy system (I.E. if even the MOBO doesn't support legacy devices) it will cause problems.

Sorry about the lack of detail but I'm not even positive about the facts, just remember SOMETHING about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right bit a poking around at the week end fixed my prob I just removed the Inet connection pooling and my modem worked fine. As for the dos-promt I found it for so reson they moved it under accessories frown.gif but any who Windows ME seems to rock (have to really put it under strain yet).
    And SickBoy I've problaly been messin' with PC's before you learnd to speak. I sure as hell know how to install drivers.

kayos

MS haven't removed the command prompt! What they have done however is removed the option from the boot menu(F8 just before you see the ME logo)
    That sucks big style... this is even worse than that warning they display when you go into the windows folder, (where you have to click on 'show files')... sure, it makes sense to stop PC newbies from wrecking their win9x install, but for peeps who know what they're doing, it's damn annoying.

I appreciate not having to get too far up to my elbows in config files and command line proggies, but M$ just seem to be 'babying' us more and more with each new windows release :/

What's this now?™

• Advertisement

And SickBoy I've problaly been messin' with PC's before you learnd to speak. I sure as hell know how to install drivers.

kayos

You must be really good with computers then Kayos. But then I wonder why your posting here looking for help wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

kayos

In that case you might have persevered a bit longer. You think its a lucent modem. Well then look at the actual chipset on the modem, go to www.lucent.com and download the drivers for win98 and win98se and try them both. Basically try every driver that you can find. You are using an unreleased operating system, you can't expect full support for it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

That sucks big style... this is even worse than that warning they display when you go into the windows folder, (where you have to click on 'show files')... sure, it makes sense to stop PC newbies from wrecking their win9x install, but for peeps who know what they're doing, it's damn annoying.

change the association of a folder to explorer should solve that.. first thing i always do to a new install.

Yeh I got rid of that ages ago, but it's just damn silly! -ooh I might delete win.com ... scarey!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

do a search for folder.http (i think.. just do folder.ht*) and desktop.ini , delete all of these files and you should be ok
    permanently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

my dad will love it. i think that is the kind of customer they want. they have the companies and the money

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

Advertisement