Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the highest download speed you've gotten with yer DSL?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by phoenix2181
    but for adsl between 50-60k a second is the norm, when you hear people say they got 130 its when the modem is trying to sync

Umm, what if they have 1Mb DSL? (although 130 would still be a little high)

And the initial burst of speed has nothing to do with the modem syncing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Why does it happen then? Is it just a mis-reading or is it actually d/loading at that speed for a few seconds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i was in USA this summer getting 155k/s sometimes on a shared SDSL work connect, and i had ADSL at home which wasn't as consistent and usually around the 60k/s, but once i got 170k/s at home with the ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

no you didnt, just your computer app lieing to you. ADSL doesnt go up and down like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

my top speed was 4.5MB downstream and 4MB upstream at home and its not multicast or adsl.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

wow wow wow, please can you guys say specifices here, like in KBps or Kbps ... when ppl say they get 130k/s ?? do they mean Kb or KB ??
    my top speed was 4.5MB downstream and 4MB upstream

serously man, are you taking the pi$$ ?? LoL
    4 MegaBytes a second ??? I think i smell some bull$hit !!! :p

its no joke i got that download speed using the included download program in windows i have a print screan of it somewhere ill post it if i can find it search my posts i think i posted it before. i got the upload speed using streamload [it is a upload program for streamload.com] it is actualy possible to hit 10mbs in each direction using powernet as the cabling,modem,transmitter and reciver are rated at 10mbs. but it would be highly unlikly it is at present uncapped and any speed could be reached but those speeds were spikes and only lasted for about 2secs [cus that all it took to download/upload the file] ask other powernet usere for simler experiances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rick112

You guys with slow DSL connections should move to eircom DSL - check out the speed claims on their website! http://mmm.eircom.ie/mouse/demos_a.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

dsl_speed1.jpg

That's an Eircom I-Stream 1 mbps (bits a second) connection. I think the usual protocol when posting speeds is to use a capital B if it's bytes and a small b if it's bits.

Eg, a 1mbps connection could give you a 125kBps download speed.

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rick112

>1mbps connection could give you a 125kBps download speed.

If you go to http://mmm.eircom.ie/mouse/demos_a.htm

Click on download and click on i-Stream et voila download speed of 512KB/sec.

And that's only for their "cheapo" 512k service. "Yours should be a lot faster still!".

Rick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Rick112

And that's only for their "cheapo" 512k service. "Yours should be a lot faster still!".

Nah, thats only at 512 kilobits/sec. It's blatant false advertising, using the B instead of b, but there's **** all we can do about it. (To convert from kilobits/sec to kilobytes/sec, divide kilobits by 10 :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Haha, I just saw that site, man that's some funny stuff. If you check the "56Kbps modem" option it shows you a file downloading at "56KB/SEC" on a normal 56k connection. (I wish)

Technically you should probably divide the "bits" number by 8 to get the "bytes", seeing as there are 8 bits in a byte, right?

-Son of Blam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Son of Blam

Technically you should probably divide the "bits" number by 8 to get the "bytes", seeing as there are 8 bits in a byte, right?

-Son of Blam

That's what I thought, but then some lecturer told us it was 10, 'cos of check bits or sumfink. And yeah that is a damn funny site. Such bull have I never heard :rolleyes:

Blam, where on eircom.net is the test download file?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Rick112
    >1mbps connection could give you a 125kBps download speed.

Rick

What a heap of nonsense!
    Nice to see though that Eircom is advising people to connect a modem to their ISDN line...

i have a new top score i cant rember it excatly but i did this in 0.02sec which i worked out as 24.999 bytes/sec. i dont have a copy of it either but i do have a copy of my second highest top score 10 mbytes but sadly this is only a spike speed my connection is not normaly this fast.i know this pic can be altered no bother with paint but i assure you it isnt but i think the site mush have a problem cus i cant imagine my 512k modem reaching 24mB/s. just try the test and post ur speeds

top%20speed.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Forget about those tests, they prove nothing.

Go to:

http://ftp.esat.net/mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/redhat-7.2-en/iso/i386/

Download one of the ISOs and wait for about 5 minutes and see what bandwidth your getting (after 5 mins this should be fairly constant).

test.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

f48minutes for one 648mb iso, icouldnt wait that long

i only get between 40kB/s and 100kB/s but what ever way chorus is connected to the net i actualy get worse download speeds from ireland i get unreal speeds from europe i cant explain it.
    [The Cigarette Smoking Man] how do i set up an ftp site with esat?

"Only" 53.4k/s ;(

Irishguy, I think that FTP is set up by Esat themselves, not by users.

• Advertisement

i relised that after posting. do you know of any free ftp sites?? at the moment i am downloading both enigma isos at about 87KB/s each with download accelerator i have program called streamload uploading at about 50KB/s and Kazaa uploading at about 30KB/s and no downloads so that comes to about 174KB/s downstream and 80KB/S upstream but i have a program called DU meter monitering my connection and it says i am doing 260KB/s Downstream and 15KB/s upstream. so i dont know which is telling the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

on ntl 512k cable

download.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by irishguy
    i only get between 40kB/s and 100kB/s but what ever way chorus is connected to the net i actualy get worse download speeds from ireland i get unreal speeds from europe i cant explain it.
    [The Cigarette Smoking Man] how do i set up an ftp site with esat?

PiE is right, that's an esat server. The only way to setup a ftp site with esat would be to put a server in there or rent some space, either way you'll have to pay.

Also, try and download that file from this ftp server and see what you get:

http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-7.2-en/iso/i386/

thats more like it The Cigarette Smoking Man i got sick of waiting for it to finish but i downloaded 123MB in 10mins.the highest speed was around 1.5MB/s but it leveled out at about 250KB/S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

ntl:World - 512k service Server Download:
    83KB/s (664Kb/s) - Superb - much higher than expected

I'm guessing that this is pretty fast for a home connection.

I get so confused with my KB/s and Kb/s - but then again I don't get paid for it - Eircom people do...

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

I've seen a steady 1.4MB/s using the standard Eircom ADSL connection with a few Win2K registry tweaks (can't remember where the tweaks come from, I have them in the favourites on one of my machines)

As for my max download speed, levelled at 4.9MB/s transferring an ISO from the Esat FTP server from work!!! :p

Advertisement